My Decision On My Subjects

I decided to choose these two subjects to juxtapose because they are so completely different to me. Walking down Jay Street my eye catches this big beautiful building which is the Brooklyn Fire Headquarters, and right next to it is a small café that you can miss you don’t look carefully. What strikes me the most is why they would build a small café right in the middle of these big tall buildings? It just does not fit right. What I want to know is, how long has the fire house and the café been there? What was there before the café was built there? Why did they chose to build a café in that location? As Whitehead said from City Limits “Go back to your old haunts in your old neighborhoods and what do you find: they remain and have disappeared. The greasy spoon, the deli, the dry cleaner you scouted out when you first arrived and tried to make those new streets yours: they are gone.” This applies to this location, because I did some research and discovered there use to be another building where the café now is, therefore when people return to Jay street one day they will want to know what happened to the place that the café replace. That building is now gone and a new one took its place. Whitehead also said “Maybe we become New Yorkers the day we realize that New York will go on without us.” Meaning New York is always changing thus leaving different sensory in our neighborhoods even though we do not want change sometimes New York will keep evolving in the future with or without us.