Overall, the “Urban Artifacts” project was a very creative and interesting experience overall. It was certainly different than anything i’ve ever done before, and it was a productive learning process as well. However, If i could’ve done something different, I would’ve spent more time on the drafting and sketching, as I could’ve probably came up with a more creative and interesting final product. I do feel that my ideas were clearly expressed in my product, but not in the best way possible. I also would’ve liked to experiment more with the objects collected, as the ones I chose finally were a little more challenging to work with, in terms of expressing emotion through the final piece. However, I can still say I now have a full understanding of the terms we learned through the process. I know the difference between ambiguous and stable, what they mean and represent, and how things like economy and unity can alter and reinforce the ideas and meanings behind pieces that use these kinds of elements. I took into thought the feedback i got from my peers, and I believe I could use more practice in using these elements in my work, as I need to reinforce what my work is trying to express, and what ideas I integrate into them. Below is my final work.
The first one which was the stable piece took about an hour to an hour and a half. The second one which is the ambiguous took around three to four hours. All together it took about four to five hours to complete.
For this project, instead of inking in our ambiguous and stable drawings, we had to re-create using black paper and making cut outs of the objects. This project relates to the previous phase by having the same designs we made but using a different method to create it. Instead of inking the drawings like the last phase, we used black drawing paper, cut the shapes, and arranged it how it was supposed to be.
Stable figure took 30 minus to finish, and ambiguous figure took 60 minus to finish, overall it took an hour and half to finish.
In this phase, the project compare to previous one. I used more time to finishing it, and I also changed some small detail. However, you can still easily figure out which one is stable and which one is ambiguous. One thing, this phase is better than the previous one is that the dark space is more completely and filled than the previous phase.
The stable design took about 25 minutes while the ambiguous design took about 35 minutes.
This phase is related to the last phase in that we use the same designs from the last phase but we have to choose 1 of the best from our 2 ambiguous and 1 from our 2 stable designs. The only difference between them being that they are both made by different means. The phase 2 designs were inked while the phase three designs are made out of black paper. which gives us a different perspective into making these different designs.
The stable cut out which is on the right took 5 hours to complete. The ambiguous cut out which is on the left took 6 hours to complete. In total the cut outs took 11 hours to do.
This phase of the project relates to the previous phase by having the same figure it’s just in a different medium. The previous phase were inked sketches while in the picture above it’s cut outs. Through both mediums you can still guess which portrait is stable or ambiguous. The portrait on the right has the figure in the middle and at the bottom which makes the figure surrounded by the negative space. With so much white being around the black there’s a sense of lightness and focus on that particular figure. The portrait on the left has multiple figures that cover each corner. Although they are separated the figure in the middle makes everything feel united as a whole.
This phase of the project relates to the previous phases because in the previous phases we sketch our artifacts in an interesting way. Then we chose four and ink them. In this phase we chose two of the inked compositions and transform them into paper. Therefore the previous phases led to out final product.
Cut Paper Compositions
The Stable composition took 20 minutes, The Ambiguous composition took 30 minutes, in total (including drawing the rectangles) took an hour.