Urban Artifacts: Phase 4

Doing this Urban Artifact project, it was something new. I didn’t know what stable or ambiguous was. From this project, I learned about what ambiguous figures and stable figures were and how I can make these two figures using the objects we found outside on the streets.¬†What I could have done better in this project was spending more time in sketching the stable figures. I¬†kind of had a hard time with the stable figure¬†and¬†figuring out if the sketches looked like they were stable. But from critiquing,¬†I got a lot of helpful feedback on my project¬†on¬†how I can make it better. From what I learned about ambiguous and stable figures, I would be able to use those techniques and ideas in the next project we have.

IMG_2475

Urban Artifact: Phase 4

From this project, I have learned two different figure, stable and ambiguous figure-grand. My favorite part of this project is using the exacto knife to cut off the shape I want, although my desk was scratched, but its still a very nice experience. From the beginning to the end of the project, I have changed many details on my creations from phase to phase, I thought I could make them better. Indeed, I did make them better but I lost the concept of the words. I thought if I make the image simple enough and clear, it will be a stable figure, but stable figure¬†have an imbalance of figure and ground (70/30), wherein the ground ‚Äúsupports‚ÄĚ or surrounds the figure. This is what I have done wrong. And I hope in the next project I can clearly understand and memorize this little details.

asdsfzx

Urban Artifacts: Phase 4

Overall, the “Urban Artifacts” project was a very creative¬†and interesting experience overall. It was certainly different than anything i’ve ever done before, and it was a productive learning process as well. However, If i could’ve done something different, I would’ve spent more time on the drafting and sketching, as I could’ve probably came up with a more creative and interesting final product. I do feel that my ideas were clearly expressed in my product, but not in the best way possible. I also would’ve liked to experiment more with the objects collected, as the ones I chose finally were a little more challenging to work with, in terms of expressing emotion through the final piece. However, I can still say I now have a full understanding of the terms we learned through the process. I know the difference between ambiguous and stable, what they mean and represent, and how things like economy and unity can alter and reinforce the ideas and meanings behind pieces that use these kinds of elements. I took into thought the feedback i got from my peers, and I believe I could use more practice in using these elements in my work, as I need to reinforce what my work is trying to express, and what ideas I integrate into them. Below is my final work.

Snapchat--3205190737754086345

Urban Artifact: Phase 4

From this project, not only did I learned what figure-ground relationship was but I saw different ways on how to execute this relationship through the work of my peers. Being able to create a figure-ground relationship from artifacts you found on street really shows that art is everywhere. ¬†Even though everybody had to create obvious pieces and ambiguous pieces, there was none that was identical to another person. Everyone had their own unique style and different concepts of their art. What I could’ve done better was time management. Before doing the actual sketches, I had to make sure the borders were in the right measurements and nothing can be miscalculated. I took a very long time on that part including my sketches but it’s something I will work on to get better at. Not only was I ecstatic of my final work but through the critique people mentioned that my progression from my previous sketches to my final work was successful. I felt proud that I’d decided to take the chance to refine my work and add in new additions to it. Seeing from where I started to where I finished shows the improvements I’ve made and that if I put dedication into my work there’s a rewarding payoff.

IMG_1060

Urban Artifact: Phase 4

What I learned during this project was the difference between a stable and an ambiguous figure-ground. I could have done better if I wasn’t limited to what I could draw. For example I¬†only had 3 objects to work with, if I¬†could have draw freely anything I¬†wanted, I could have¬†done something totally different.¬†From this project I will apply what I leaned to the next by creating stable and ambiguous shapes in the book.

20150921_135649