Sound Visualizations: Phase 1

The music I chose is “One Summer’s Day” by Joe Hisaishi. This music is from my favorite movie called Spirited Away. The music starts with a legato feeling. Legato is to be performed smoothly, calmly and softly. It can be presented by curvy lines. The music is played by piano, so the sounds are kind of sharp. And there are some other instruments making the rough sounds. The legato feeling goes through more than half of the music. At almost the end of the music, there are staccato beats coming out. Staccato is to be performed abruptly, sharply and separated. It can be represented by sharp lines and angles.

music: One Summer’s Day – Joe Hisaishi

Legatos
Legatos
staccatos
Staccatos

1 thought on “Sound Visualizations: Phase 1”

1. Most of your designs represent their designated concepts pretty well. The staccatos in particular all have these sharp shifts in direction with regards to their lines and could be easily replicated for the purpose of patternmaking too. In my opinion, the middle row of legato designs are the weakest ones of that set because there’s just too much negative space, so that could easily be fixed by adding more shapes or shading in some parts. On the other hand, the bottom row of legatos are the most interesting to me due to the repetition of these arcing lines. The design in the bottom left of the legato designs could be taken as staccato if it were scaled too small, but I’m uncertain. The legato in the bottom right seems fine as is regardless of whether it would be shaded.