- Writing is the using of words or language to convey a message or experience. The writer may be completely oblivious of the “meaning of his experience”, or what she wants to tell his readers. she writes to discover the true meaning of her experience, and then rewrites until she thinks that he wrote everything that she wants to say.
The purpose of writing is to discover the inner feelings of the writer, and to communicate it. Quoting Ellie Wiesel’s words, “I write in order to understand as much as to be understood”.
- By “discovery”– which he says is an important part of the revision process- Donald Murray means that through writing and rewriting and going over the revision process the writer sees stories forming that he himself was not aware of. These are plots or developments in the story that the writer did not intentionally plan before his discovery.
By using the term “ignorance” Donald Murray means that most writers don’t know what they want to say when they start writing. In the re vison stage, they discover what they truly want to tell their readers about their experience.
- Product is the final writing. Process is the writing through which that “product” should be reached.
- Internal revision: During internal revision the writer reads her first draft and discovers her position on the subject. Then using language, structure and research information she develops what she has discovered. She only listens to her inner self during internal revision to make sure she says what she really wants to say. The writer is like a hiker who got lost in a cold hiking trail. She has created spark in some dry moss and is carefully analyzing the situation and is now patiently adding twigs. she smiles as he sees his embers slowly turns into a blazing fire.
- External revision: During external revision the writer edits what she has written. She does not change what she has to say (the discovery she had during internal revision), and only tweaks her writing in a way that would make sense to her readers.
- By “content” Murray probably means the research content the writer accumulated before she wrote her first draft. He could also refer to the content of the writers first draft.
Structure is the way the writer writes her paper.
I am very comfortable posting or writing in Facebook. I don’t feel restricted when i want to express myself passionately in Facebook, unlike in an academic writing, and I don’t have to worry about writing formally either. I know that I won’t be graded on my writings, which is also very relieving.
I think I do feel more comfortable than my grandpa about posting in Facebook. I have had a Facebook account for a long time and my grandpa doesn’t even know what Facebook is. Over the years, I have seen a lot of other people’s writings In Facebook, and have written quite a few posts myself. Being in the internet every day also feeds me with a lot of content to talk about. My grandpa may capitalize all his words, post his same writing multiple times, beat around the bush too much and not be specific and straightforward. He may also lack the witty or funny style of writing that people prefer to read in the internet/Facebook. I think he would get angry about how disrespectful people are in the internet and just rage quit his account. But it is also true that there are a lot of older people who are very knowledgeable and experienced when it comes to composing a piece of writing in this genre.
I like “free-flow” writing and try not to strangle my thoughts with a strictly followed genre style. That’s why I have problems with writing traditional type essays, where it is required to do very specific things, like writing a thesis statement in the introduction, etc.
In the “Onion” my favorite title example was “Study: Dolphins not so intelligent on land. They are stating a very obvious thing in their “study”, which is sarcastic and funny.
English 1121, E106
Genre analysis: “dumbed down books”
The genre I chose to write in does not have a definite name. but if were to explain it, it is a culmination of sophisticated ideas and theories explained in a “dumbed down” way without going into technical details. The beauty of this genre is that it tells us as much as we need to understand -without going into broad details-, say a scientific theory, that most people without prior experience with the topic won’t understand. An example of a book from this genre is called, “What is Relativity”- by Jeffrey Bennet. This book contains all the important ideas about relativity without being very technical. The audience of this genre/book are people that are interested in astronomy, but, are new to the topic.
The world is a very complex dimension created by some unknown entity. From astronomical objects such as the planets, stars, blackholes, nebulae, to atomic objects that includes protons, electrons, neutrons and others, there exist a lot of physical and intangible phenomenon. From the philosophical ideas of humanities to the laws of physics, there are a lot of sophisticated explanation as to why we exist and how we exist in this world. For the masses it can be challenging, and sometimes extremely hard, to grasp a hold of the ideas and proven laws about the world. If we go into specifics, astronomy for example is a realm of science that is often stereotyped as a subject for the “nerds”. Though it is true that some of the concepts of astronomy, is hard to understand, we should still know how our world at large operates.
The advanced books that explains these hard to understand phenomenon and ideas are too hard and monotonous for the novice reader. A genre was created for this very reason keeping the masses in mind. This genre of books generally contains all the concepts of a specific topic, but only explained in an easier way. In this regard, this genre is different from those genres that only contains the basics. The books of this genre have a lot of easy to understand examples. I have noticed that it is much easier to understand something when you can relate it to something else that you have already experienced or know about. These books also contain less to no complicated mathematical proofs to prove a law or theory. When mathematical applications are absolutely needed to explain something, the author generally tells that to the reader and suggests them to read a more advanced book if they want to further their knowledge on the subject. without much technical details, these books generally lack concrete evidence to back up what the author is trying to convey.
“The Quantum Age,” “What is Relativity?,” “Ripples in Spacetime.”
Books that i have read recently, and am currently reading.
Student Name: Faisal Rahman
Course and Section Number: ENG-1121, E-106
UNIT 3 Worksheet 2 brainstorming your Research Proposal
I feel that it is important to discuss about the lack of American interest for the global sport of soccer. Soccer is the most famous sport in the world, with an estimated fan base of 3.5 million people. but in the states, soccer ranks at 7 as the most favorite sport.
This discussion will bring light to the reason why so many people around the world are so fond of soccer. It will reveal to the everyday American what they are missing and how they should approach the game of soccer to enjoy the true beauty of the game. It would teach the people of U.S unity and benefit of teamwork. And I think all of us can agree on the fact the unity is something that this country lacks a lot. It would teach kids that regardless of individual difference people can unite and work together, thus tackling the problem of bullying. It would also bring a lot of revenue to the country.
This discussion will bring light to the reason why so many people around the world are so fond of soccer. It will reveal to the everyday Americans what they are missing and how they should approach the game of soccer to enjoy the true beauty of the game.
U.S is getting more and more isolated from the world day by day. We don’t get along with other countries in terms of politics and the fact that we reject the medium (soccer), that the people of the world use to unite, is not helping either. I just want to reflect the shiny sides of soccer- that other people find so appealing- to the Americans and see if I can get them to view the sport with a different perspective.
Student Name: Faisal Rahman
Course and Section Number: ENG-1121, E-106
UNIT 3 WORKSHEET 1 Note: the following are prompts to help you organize your work. Please make your answers clear and easy to read! Take all the space you need to answer the questions.
My general area of study is: soccer
- After doing some preliminary research, I am able to note below at least one argument / discussion / problem that surrounds my area of study:
Most Americans, unlike most people in the world, don’t like soccer. Through my research I found out that the reason for their uninterest in soccer:
- the game consists of much fewer goals/points scored to their liking, unlike, say, American football or basketball.
- There aren’t any “drinks break” or ad breaks in soccer. The only break is between the two halves of the game- after 45 minutes.
- Soccer players are not tough enough and go down easily upon contact. They also dive to get foul calls.
- The people or community of people most affected by this problem are…:
Americans who like soccer, and secondly, Americans who dislike it as well. The ones who dislike it are being left out from the unity of a whooping 3.5 billion fans in the world. They are being left out from the beautiful game
- Here are some key terms or phrases particularly associated with this issue. (For example, if your proposal is about hiking, you might use phrases like “manageable distances,” “maps,” “excursions,” “rough terrain,” “backpack,” “dehydration,” “survival in the elements,” “pathfinding,” et al.):
Tedious; no drinks or ads break; players are soft; not enough goals/points
Eng 1121 E-106
- Love for the game (this is the most important ingredient)
- Soccer boots
- Turf shoes (if you plan to play indoors)
- Soccer ball (at least one)
Make a schedule and try to designate at least 30 minutes of your time towards practicing soccer every day.
Put on your shoes, get your ball and run to the field.
Since you have run to the field, you are already warmed up.
But you should still stretch to avoid injuries.
Now start off by feeling the ball with your feet and get used to moving the ball with your feet. You will have problems balancing but its’s totally normal. With enough practice you will be comfortable with the ball under your feet.
Use BOTH of your foot to control the ball, as playing with just one foot will make you “one footed”; One footed soccer players are extremely predictable in the field.
Practice to pass, dribble and shoot the ball everyday as these are the basics of the game.
If you follow these instructions, you should have the basics of the sport down within a month.
Learning the basics is the most important step to become a good player
Drink lots of water and eat healthy food. Drinking will replenish the lost water from playing and eating healthy will improve your performance in the field. Welcome to the “beautiful game”
English 1121- E106
Ten genres that I encounter in everyday life:
1.Texting 2.Novel 3.Online news articles 4.Non-fiction books (astronomy) 5.Online ads( YouTube, Facebook, and ads during browsing the internet in general) 6.Music: alternative rock 7.(TV shows: comedy, 8. Action) 9. Google maps 10. YouTube
I like watching YouTube videos the most and as a matter of fact that’s what I do for a big chunk of my free time. I watch a lot of “how to”, science, and funny videos in YouTube. It helps me to unplug myself from the hassle of everyday life and gives me some motivation to carry on through the day. The audience for the science videos, mostly space science or astronomy, are people who are passionate about space. These people can be very young, who just happen to have an interest in the topic, or people like me who are in college, and have developed a likeness for the subject as they grew older. The language and style in these videos are not formal and the reason being is that the video makers want to keep their audience engaged and not feel bored.
I think genres are different categories of information or types of communication. It helps us to find the type of information that we want since they are categorized.