Doing this project was pretty fun; learned more about photoshop, I didn’t know the program could also be used for animation. At first it was a bit time consuming, trying to make the mashup sync with the music was a bit of a challenge. The end result was pretty cool and the amount of work that was put into the animation payed off.
This project for me was very interesting. I enjoyed collaborating music and art together, because those are my two favorite things. I’ve gained knowledge in understanding the difference between Staccato and Legato, it’s something that I didn’t know anything about before. Next time I want to create more thumbnail’s because those definitely helped me out, it enabled me to organize what I wanted to draw. The critique in class helped me identify my weaknesses, therefore next time I will make sure my composition is much more detailed and neat.
Sound Visualization: Phase 1
I feel that during this project, I learned more about how different sounds can be represented by varying images. I also learned about how I can orchestrate those images to further drive the message to the viewers. However, I feel that I could have improved on the design of my composition. While I was working on it, I felt like there were very limited paths I could take with the artwork used in my composition. So I believe that if I am to participate in a project like this again, I’ll need to reflect on that.
When the project was first introduced to the class it looked pretty easy. But as i started sketching and trying to put the pieces together it got more complicated. Eventually i figured it out to the best of my ability and utilized the rule of thirds. My final bristol drawing didnt meet my expectations, but it did look very neat. Lastly, the animation was my favorite. I enjoyed learning how to turn my art work into an animation.
I personally enjoyed this project, the concept of turning music into abstract image is very interesting to me; I like every part of this project. Although I had some misunderstanding in Rule of Thirds, but after listen to my colleague‘s critique, I was able to learn where my mistake is. The last animation part gave me little struggle, because there is some thing wrong with my audio track, and I weren’t able to have my image up show up at the specific rhythm, but the process to making this animation is very fun.
Sound Visualizations: Phase 1
Sound Visualizations: Phase 2
Sound Visualizations: Phase 3
at first this project seemed very difficult because we had to listen to songs and visualize something that we can’t see such as sound waves. However, I think the best way to do it is to just imagine how the sound waves would sound and that makes it a lot easier. Then we moved to drawing which was an easy task once we knew how to imagine the sounds. Making the grid was a little hectic because we need to visualize where we would place the patterns that will be arranged in a way that makes a path to the focal point. However, if you did thumbnails it would be easier because you have an idea of the placement. The last step was to animate, now that part was a little hard for me since I missed the day that this was taught. However, as I started playing with all the tools and the menu bars I fond out how to do them, I must say it was vexing to be fitting and pasting the different pattern squares to different layers but after that everything was smooth. I really like this project because it teaches you things that on your own you wouldn’t thought about like the shapes of sounds.
During this project, I definitely learned a lot about how to use photoshop in a way I truthfully didn’t think was possible. Being able to play around with the animation function opened up a lot of possibilities for me. This project was definitely time-consuming (Even though it’s being handed in late) but at the same time, it was a lot of fun. There are a number of things that I know I should have done better. The inking could have been more defined, the animation itself could go along with the beat and have more variety when it comes to the movement. Figuring out what I wanted to do with the animation was the main problem I had and in the end, I couldn’t make it turn out exactly what I wanted to. This project has given me the chance to figure out more advanced animation techniques and inspired me to keep experimenting with photoshop on my free time. As usual, I need to work on managing my work time as well as being prepared for each of the coming projects.
*Phase 2 *
This was a difficult project for me because it was my first time making a video in Photoshop. I had difficulty making thumbnails for staccato and legato pattern but then knew what the meaning was and saw examples. The position on the layers was tricky in Photoshop because I did not know where and what to place them to go along with the music. I think if I knew more about making a video in Photoshop and the illustration, I would have done a good job at it. For the next project, if we do video in Photoshop, I know how to use it and also look up at other projects people have made doing this technique.
Phase 1:Discover / Phase 2:Define / Phase 3:Develop