For our final project, Color Harmony, I used all my knowledge of our past projects to help me with this one. Finding out pallets was a challenge for because there was such a wide variety of color in one image, it was a bit difficult to make a proportional color pallet and to figure out which were the accents. What I did enjoy about this project was how it made me pay more attention to amounts of color in a photo and/or piece and what colors really accent them, or what colors give the piece dynamic in tint and shadings to really bring it to life. Color harmony really helped me to better understand how colors can go together in varying amounts and how tints and accents, plus the amount of color used is really important when thinking about making a piece.
These color interactions studies have taught me a lot about the ways colors interact with each other and how they can influence what we perceive them as. Phase 2 in this project helped to really open my eyes to how placing two colors together can create the illusion of darkening, lightening, tinting, and even giving a different color an outline. I definitely enjoyed phase 3 of this project, especially with choosing the colors with my partner and making their logo. What interests me the most is how the logo looks like two completely different colors on their respective backgrounds; I really feel like I learned a lot about colors and the way they interact with each other through this project.
Saturations studies was hard for me, but I did learn a lot. I learned that there is a lot more to know about color. IT was difficult mixing to get the right shades and colors because some paints were more pigmented that others. This was very new to me because I am more accustomed to using painting digitally. Saturations studies did help me improve coloring my work. With new ways to blend and make color, I can make more dynamic pieces.
In this project I learned how to make abstract collages from a simple gray scale photo of my face and learned the importance of understanding the use of highlights and low lights. I had a few problems during the project such as figuring out abstract images to make, and using the gouache paints. I’m so used to watercolors and markers, gouache was a real step out of my comfort zone because of the way it dried so fast and we couldn’t work with it too wet or else our paper would warp. What I did find enjoyable was photo-shopping replicas of our collages.
This project helped me learn that what you see in art can be interpreted many ways. I was able to use music to create art that would represent the beat and feeling of the song; this art would have to convey what I felt and heard to the viewer. This project was definitely difficult for me because i had problems expressing the staccato and legato music onto the page, but I did learn the importance of being able to convey my ideas and feelings properly in what I create in the future.