- Rewriting is an important part of the writing process for Donald Murray. Murray quoted Neil Simon’s analogy of rewriting process and I think this quote tells us how he defines the writing: “rewriting is when playing writing really gets to be fun … in baseball you only get three swings and you are out. In rewriting, you get almost as many swings as you want and you know, sooner or later, you will hit the ball.” Murray’s process of writing has three format: prevision, vision, and revision. The writers can in fact find themselves via writing – a journey of discovery. Teachers should teach students how to discover themselves through the creative art of writing.
- The process of discovery of using language to find out what you are going to say is a key part of the writing process. However, discovery can be very scary process, this process can take you inside yourself. As per Murray writers have to protect their ignorance, writing is a journey of discovery.
- Product can be finalized written piece which, went through all the stages of writing vs. process. Process can be where the writer starts from brainstorming to rewriting, also going through the three stages: prevision, vision, revision.
- In internal revision writer acts like a scientist with a piece of experiment, where he/she writes anything just to start then, the whole process goes on such as language, form and context. External revision includes proofreading, editing.
- The first important aspect of the internal revision is content. Writers should have an abundance of information during the process through research and brainstorming. An extremely significant element of language is that form and content are the writers’ voice.
Print this page