For homework, read the three articles/websites about avatars: “Professional protocol when choosing a Skype avatar“; Chad Renando, “An avatar analysis: Choosing your profile picture“; Michelle Venetucci Harvey. “Design avatars that make sense — and be more inclusive in the process.”
Choose an avatar that you want to use on the OpenLab, and add it to your profile. If you need help, you can refer to this page about adding an avatar from the OpenLab Help section.
Reflecting on that avatar, add as a comment to this post your answers to the questions below:
how does your avatar represent you as a design student with the interests, motivations, aspirations, etc you have written about?
If it doesn’t represent that version of you, you might change it.
Why is it important for it to represent you? Use examples from the readings to support your answer.
(Also, be sure to give credit to the creator of your avatar image, whether it was you or someone else! And be sure you have permission to do so!)
Why did you choose this major (COMD)?
The reason why I chose Communication Design as my major is because of the interest I have for website making and apps. I find it captivating the way I can create and build visual stories with technology that makes it very appealing. It is a skill that will continue to expand into the future. It will continue improve, enhance and be empowering into the next generation.
I am keen to enhance my learning on this area in order to communicate and socialize with people across the spectrum of the social media and internet. I will be able to make presentations using power point and other creative tools to share and inform the various communities of people. I feel that I am skillful using the computer and this gives me an advantage to explore deeper into the realm of communication design. I feel that I am also a very social person who like communicating not only orally but also through the use of the communication technologies.
What are some difficulties you face in COMD?
In Communication Design I have faced some difficulties that have challenged my abilities. One such difficulty is that I struggled with is my drawing skills in the Foundation Drawing class and the Graphic Design class. I am not very artful and presently does not possess many drawing skills unlike some other students. I find it difficult to get my ideas depicted on paper in a good enough way for the viewer to understand and to see my point of view. I am taking it step by step to illustrate the figures that are needed to make the pictures come alive and I am trying to overcome these challenges. With constant practice, hard work and motivation I am sure that I will get better and overcome this obstacle.
What in your classes draws your attention?
I am absolutely thrilled with the Visual Library in my Graphic Design class. It give me a chance to post things that I find interesting or important on a daily basis. I like the discussions we have about them and the way the Professor gives us an opportunity to talk about every detail in each of our pictures. Another thing that draws my attention in one of my other classes is the belief breakdown in my Typography class. The teacher makes sure that while we are learning about San Serif and Serif Fonts she tells us the history behind it and how those things affected us today. It opened my eyes to see how advanced technology has become since the first printing press.
What are your expectations of being a COMD major in your first year?
My expectations of being a COMD major in my first year is to familiarize myself with subject matter of Typography and Photoshop in an optimal way. I expect to learn and develop myself in all the fundamentals of foundation drawing, graphic design, and all my other courses and to excel at these learning. I hope to improve myself and work toward becoming the best that I can be and have my performance reflect the hard work and time that I intend to devote to this course.
For homework, write a response to one of the interview questions we brainstormed in class. It can be one that your group came up with, or one from someone else. It can be the one you started drafting in class or another. Aim to write approximately 150 words in your answer.
Comment on at least 2 classmates’ responses. Your comment can be directed to them, or it can be more for everyone to address why it’s important for that question to be included in the interview, or connections you’re starting to see across the responses.
If you were asked to participate in an interview about being a 1st year design student for a COMD publication, or for Eye on Design-AIGA, what questions would you want to be asked?
- what catches your eye when looking at other people’s work?
- what is your dream job in the field of design
- what other skills do you want to learn in this program?
- how is the community in your major?
- what is the schoolwork like in your coursework?
- what in the class draws your attention?
- where do you think the future of design will take you?
- why did you choose this major (COMD) as a design student?
- within COMD, which track would you want to pursue?
- what were some of the difficulties you encountered in your first semester and how did you overcome them?
- why did you choose this major (COMD)?
- how do you intend to grow as a designer with this program?
- what are some of the things you wish to accomplish as a designer?
- what influenced you toward this major? (eg in your childhood)
- how do you intend to use the skill set you learn to influence your community?
- why would you choose Graphic Design out of all the majors?
- what are your past graphic design experiences?
- do you prefer working by yourself or in a group environment?
- do you think your background affects your design?
- what is your motivation (eg creative expression) in graphic design?
- what are some things you like to design?
- what are your expectations of being a COMD major in your first year?
- what outside activities do you participate in that led you here?
- what job do you desire after this?
- what are your favorite COMD classes?
- what are some difficulties you face in COMD?
- can you see yourself doing anything else?
- who is a role model you look up to in this field?
- what design work inspires you?
- what are you passionate about?
- where do you see yourself in 5? 10? 15? years
- what is your personal aesthetic? what is your aesthetic sensibility? what is your design aesthetic?
For homework, respond to my homework post with a comment answering one of the above questions, and commenting on two others.
Q: What do you want to be called?
Q: how did you get here today?
Q: what’s your major?
Q: why did you pick this major?
Q: what are your hobbies?
Q: what high school did you come from?
Q: Where are you from?
Q: Age? what’s your sign? birthday?
Q: What would your superpower be?
Sign in to email!
password: MMDDYYlast4of EMPL (so 10 digits total)
Homework: Read the instructions in the Introducing Ourselves post.