Incredulous

Incredulous(Adjective)

(in·​cred·​u·​lous)

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/incredulous

Definition

• unwilling to admit or accept what is offered as true

In “The Way We Live Now:11-11-01;lost and Found” by Colson Whitehead he statesI never got a chance to say goodbye to the twin towers. And they never got a chance to say goodbye to me. I think they would have liked to; I refuse to believe in their indifference. You say you know these streets pretty well? The city knows you better than any living person because it has seen you when you are alone. It saw you steeling yourself for the job interview, slowly walking home after the late date, tripping over nonexistent impediments on the sidewalk. It saw you wince when the single frigid drop fell from the air-conditioner 12 stories up and zapped you. It saw the bewilderment on your face as you stepped out of the stolen matinee, incredulous that there was still daylight after such a long movie. It saw you half-running up the street after you got the keys to your first apartment. It saw all that. Remembers too.

In other word, Colson Whitehead is saying although we as humans move on and experience multiple things throughout life. In most cases if not all our homes or our own streets and buildings saw us through all of it.