For my final collage it took me a long time to create something unique. Since we’re on Project 3 already I wanted to create something that was different in which I added a little hat cut out form the carvings of my dark tabloid images so that it resembles a sort of festive theme background. I got this inspiration from my third collage, but decided to add a little bit more so that it can give it more life. I also cut out a piece of my sweater from one of my lighter darker images from my tabloids so that it acted as a blanket. I also decided to incorporate hans from magazines that were actually holding onto something, but I decided that I wanted it to clench onto the blanket. The focal point for this collage can be a variety of things, but I wanted it to be the different tones of my eyes and mouth. I’ve decided to keep my grey scale simple by going downwards from dark to light. This project was really fun and it gave me so many ideas on how to push this through.
While doing the lines I recognized that the texture of the dunes was part flowing down and the other part was static with no movement at all. I decided to represent this with a mixture of fun, serifed type to represent the flowing sand. While the san-serifed typography represents the parts where the sand texture looks static.
This was the first type drawing, I was still figuring out the thickness of the lines and the typography I was going to follow. Here I did all cursive with inking brush and pen.
Again a more artistic approach. The typography was more of a statement. It says: Sloggishly flowing down.
For this ornamental pattern, I selected medieval-looking, ultra-serifed typography perfect to give that retro feeling that I got from the original picture.
My Texture portion of this project required the most effort to get the results I desired. I did over 6 sketches. In the end, I like my decision to incorporate very zig-zag lines it made the piece look more messy and uneasy.
The Pattern design made e feel a sense of entrapment like I was stuck and couldn’t get out. Somehow the was more easy for me to convey than my pattern. I loved the lettering part of this process it was very fun and felt creative.
Overall I would say that this project was very time-consuming but I enjoyed learning about the creative process and repetition that allot of professors talk about.
For my Texture and Pattern project I chose the Pasta photo(Fettuccine-looking one) as a texture and the Chain-link fence photo as a pattern.
To me the Pasta image makes me think about a messy situation, stress, something that is all over the place, and unorganized. These were some of my initial type and line sketches for it:
The Fence image is a pattern in perspective and it gives me a more unified feeling than the Pasta image does. It also gives off an oppressive mood because of the nature of the image. These were some of my sketches in line and type for it:
In the end I didn’t necessarily go with all my sketch ideas and in some cases I just ended up making a whole new composition. But in a way my sketches helped me decide what I thought could and could not work to make my final compositions, or what I needed to change to make them better.
These are my 4 final ink compositions:
For my Pasta compositions I did a good job and I was able to show the contrast necessary to show depth. For my Pasta made with lines I decided to make each element like a continuous line going inward. They almost look like shapes but if you look closely you can see that they aren’t connected. My lines did touch a little in some places, and thats something I wish I could’ve done better. For my Pasta made with type I decided to fill the spaces with sentences/words from lyrics, going in different directions and using thicker and thinner fonts for the lighter and darker parts. This one is my favorite.
For my Fence compositions I’m okay with what I made but I feel like they could’ve been a little better. For my Fence made with lines the contrast is visible to me, but I question if it could have a larger contrast. I felt like one of my sketches came out better than my final composition. For my Fence made with type, I actually really like my idea. I made the fence using the words “dead end” and “warning”, while using the word”freedom” to fill in the background. I feel like there was a little white spaces in places there shouldn’t be, and that some of the type isn’t understandable because it might blend in together, but overall I like it.
Making this project wasn’t easy. It was very tedious and it was hard to come up with ideas that I felt would actually work. But at the same time it was a little fun and I liked that within the boundaries of what lines and typography styles we could use for this project, it was still broad enough for everyone to bring in their own creativity.
These are the final pictures. One represents a tile and the other represents, at least in my eyes macaroni.
Oh how yummy. The curves and the magnitude of the lines as well as the little particles on the top gives me the impression that it is pasta. Oh how I can taste the cheese melting on my tongue because it was fresh out of the oven. Eat this with macaroni with some chicken along with some avacado and your belly will thank you. Do not forget drink it down with some orange solo (a caribbean treat).
Every morning when I wake up to get ready for school, I go to the bathroom to take a shower. upon entering, I look down and see my reflection painted on the flower patterned tile. They are plated perfectly on the floor, you don’t know the cut off point on the tile. It sits perfect, I admire it for quite some time.
I think this projct was fun. I’m happy on how my drawings came out. Again I think I was too detailed, more specifically the fence drawings. The lines and text were not hard but it was too time and thinking on how I wanted it to look.