Texture and Pattern Project – Klarissa G.

For my Texture and Pattern project I chose the Pasta photo(Fettuccine-looking one) as a texture and the Chain-link fence photo as a pattern.

To me the Pasta image makes me think about a messy situation, stress, something that is all over the place, and unorganized. These were some of my initial type and line sketches for it:

The Fence image is a pattern in perspective and it gives me a more unified feeling than the Pasta image does. It also gives off an oppressive mood because of the nature of the image. These were some of my sketches in line and type for it:

In the end I didn’t necessarily go with all my sketch ideas and in some cases I just ended up making a whole new composition. But in a way my sketches helped me decide what I thought could and could not work to make my final compositions, or what I needed to change to make them better.

These are my 4 final ink compositions:

.

For my Pasta compositions I did a good job and I was able to show the contrast necessary to show depth. For my Pasta made with lines I decided to make each element like a continuous line going inward. They almost look like shapes but if you look closely you can see that they aren’t connected. My lines did touch a little in some places, and thats something I wish I could’ve done better. For my Pasta made with type I decided to fill the spaces with sentences/words from lyrics, going in different directions and using thicker and thinner fonts for the lighter and darker parts. This one is my favorite.

For my Fence compositions I’m okay with what I made but I feel like they could’ve been a little better. For my Fence made with lines the contrast is visible to me, but I question if it could have a larger contrast. I felt like one of my sketches came out better than my final composition. For my Fence made with type, I actually really like my idea. I made the fence using the words “dead end” and “warning”, while using the word”freedom” to fill in the background. I feel like there was a little white spaces in places there shouldn’t be, and that some of the type isn’t understandable because it might blend in together, but overall I like it.

Making this project wasn’t easy. It was very tedious and it was hard to come up with ideas that I felt would actually work. But at the same time it was a little fun and I liked that within the boundaries of what lines and typography styles we could use for this project, it was still broad enough for everyone to bring in their own creativity.

2 thoughts on “Texture and Pattern Project – Klarissa G.

1. Tammy

I loved seeing your creative process. You tried many different versions of your sketched and they all look beautiful. I see how much more clear and defined you made your final sketches. I especially love your final pattern design with type the dark ink really brings light to the white areas it has great contrast. Almost a sense of 3-d design.

2. Isadora Martinez

I enjoy looking at your work, very detailed. It’s nice how on the cerca work you wrote freedom on one side and on the other warning. The words clearly states how you feel about the cerca. I also liked the lines in the texture actually looks like “wire”