- Class 1 – Date: Wednesday 9/9/20 – Asynchronous class, time for lab work. See requirements below under ‘Topic, Class 1 Lab Work (Weds 9/9/20)’
Optional zoom video chat from 2:30-3:30PM
- Class 2 – Date Friday 9/13/20 – In class presentations. Group Zoom video chat 2:30-4:30PM See details below under ‘Topic, Class 2 (Friday 9/13/20)’ and then complete ‘Activities’ for Week 4.
- Meeting Information: Details for how to join the Zoom call will be emailed to you. Please email me if you do not receive this information.
- If you missed last week’s lecture you can view it here:
Please note I am planing to record Friday’s class and make available for anyone who might not be able to attend. However I want to highlight CUNY’s policy on recording class Zoom calls:
Students who participate in this class with their camera on or use a profile image are agreeing to have their video or image recorded solely for the purpose of creating a record for students enrolled in the class to refer to, including those enrolled students who are unable to attend live. If you are unwilling to consent to have your profile or video image recorded, be sure to keep your camera off and do not use a profile image. Likewise, students who un-mute during class and participate orally are agreeing to have their voices recorded. If you are not willing to consent to have your voice recorded during class, you will need to keep your mute button activated and communicate exclusively using the “chat” feature, which allows students to type questions and comments live.CUNY Policy
If you have any concerns regarding the statement above, please feel free to reach out to me via email and we can figure out an alternative.
To-Do Before Class
- Read and Review: Introduction to Project 1: ‘Get Out the Vote Campaign’ See details here >> Activities/Projects&Assignments/Project1
Topic & Agenda
Class 1 – Lab Work (Weds 9/9/20):
- Class has been be divided into teams of 3 for working on Stage 1, 2, and 3, together.
- For tomorrow’s class you should aim to connect with each other. You can meet during our Weds class time through a Zoom break out room, which I can help set up for you. If it’s more convenient to meet at another time that’s fine. Meetings can be done via, email, phone or facetime, or some form of video chat (please reach out to each other – contact info was shared in an email).
- Each team should collectively research the ‘Get Out the Vote’ campaign, come up with a defined target community and a possible strategy for clear messaging. The goal is to present a ‘pitch’ to the class on Friday. See details here for putting together your team pitch Project1 – Stage 1, 2, & 3 – The Pitch>> Activities/Projects&Assignments/Assignment2
Class 2 – Presentations (Friday 9/11/20):
- Presentation of each team’s research and findings related to a defined target community and a possible messaging strategy for the ‘Get Out the Vote’ campaign.
- Take a look at ‘Rock the Vote’ and their COVID-19 related Voting Information: defining target audience as it may relate to US states
- Project specifications for Campaign: Find details here: AIGA’s website
- DUE: Weds 9/16/20
While our class is not about marketing. Understanding concepts of marketing will be very helpful as you think through defining your target audience for the ‘Get Out the Vote’ campaign. Please watch, read and explore the three bulleted items below:
- Please read: Andrews, Stormie. “What Most Companies Get Wrong About Buyer Personas” Forbes, January 29, 2019
- Take a look at the 4A’s website where they profile a company titled ‘Resonate’ that specializes in market research, and generating company. It provides some insights related to how data is collected on people in real time and used to direct influence marketing decisions and strategies. Watch their promotional video below to give you a sense of what they do:
a. Promotional Video from Resonate and
b. Watch tips from ‘Exposure Ninja’ a Digital Marketing company based in England:
2. DUE: Friday 9/18/20 Class presentations. Create a post with your team (or individually) showcasing your pitch. Moodboards will also be required (details about that will be posted next week – Week 4 Agenda) See details here for: Project1 – Stage 1, 2, & 3 – The Pitch>> Activities/Projects&Assignments/Assignment2
3. DUE: Weds 9/23/20: Project 1 – Stage 4 – Concept Sketches for the Get Out the Vote Campaign. Details related to sketch requirements and how to submit will be provided next week.