During our first class, we discussed a multitude of topics that we would be learning that would pertain to our Topics in Graphic Design course. First, we discussed the course syllabus before moving onto what we were going to learn that day. Then we began to discuss what as graphic designers would we need to expect in the real world job wise. Each student had the option to express their curiosities of what they would want to know. One student brought up how to handle failure as a designer, another brought up how to deal with creative block and how to find inspiration, etc. I enjoyed how she broke down each sort of question through a mind map kind of style. Though, one thing that stood out to me the most is how raw and real the professor became when she told us our biggest fear is what holds us back from our potential in the graphic design field. She stressed that it’s ok to be scared but not to let it hold you back from all the possibilities. That I really appreciated that she told each student that since I’m sure we can all relate in some sort of capacity.

We began watching a Ted talk by Sunni Brown called “Doodlers, Unite!” where she would express that doodling is more than what it appears. She explains how doodling is a very powerful tool that helps us to capture what we need to re-learn and remember. Sunni also goes on to say that doodling is something that is spontaneous to help us individuals think. Although, most people often see doodling in a negative connotation often being seen as a waste of time, lazy, and lack of focus. Even the history of doodling of its creation in the 17th century the word meant fool/ simpleton, or someone who was uneducated. Then following that in the 18th century it was used as a verb that would express ridicule or swindle. Nowadays it is redefined as a “spontaneous mark that helps someone think”.  She even ended on stating “The doodle has never been the nemesis of intellectual thought. In reality, it is one of our greatest allies.”

Then we went to dive more into questions we would have as graphic designers in the field. We went from discussing failure, to creative block, so how does one become a graphic designer once we graduate. That is what stood out to me the most since I was curious what would I need as a graduate student to get the job I would desire. Professor then would write on the board what seemed to be sort of a mind map following each thing we would need to succeed. For example, we would have to have work ethics, passion, a skill set, humility, time-management, desire to succeed, portfolio, nepotism, cover letter, etc.

The third thing we did was watch another insightful ted talk by Chip Kidd who is a graphic designer who specializes in book covers/illustrations. He began by speaking gibberish which would lead into his point for mystery and clarity. Throughout the ted talk, he would express how he came to design books for his clients by using everyday things that can lead him to creative concepts. Chipp stated, “The way we are used to seeing a certain thing is applied to something else so that we can see it in a different way.” He began to explain the difference between mystery and clarity how executing both can result in something outside of the box. His designs came from looking at things in a different light only to become something more than it already was. It was so interesting to see his creative process and how he found inspiration for his work.

To conclude, the class was very insightful on teaching me things I had not known before. I enjoyed the time the professor took to explain everything while being genuine and straight to the point. This made me realize especially when she mentioned to not hold back when it comes to your creativity really struck me. I sometimes don’t think my work is enough or great and it holds me back from being confident within my design work. Although, this holds me back from so much potential and hearing her say that really hit to home. I appreciated also the ted talk videos and learning something new through them. I never knew that doodling had such a negative connotation years ago or that mystery and clarity would be so powerful in the designing process.