I remember one time for a particular class project that I had to use images from google/online. The project was to showcase my favorite designer’s work or images that have inspired me as a designer. I found so many images that at the time I did not know you had to credit each designer’s work. I used it in my design since part of the project was to create a new image using the images of inspiration to create something new. Though, I failed to realize we had to research each image and give credit/site where each image was found and the artist who had designed said pieces. It was one of my earlier classes in COMD but I learned when I got the grading for it that I lacked a major part of the project’s core goal. I lost a fair amount of points because I was naive and unaware we had to do that but the professor was gracious enough to teach the students that had missed that in the guidelines for the project. Now if I use any image sourced from google or any work that is not my own I make sure to tag the designer/photographer on the image using “@JohnDoe (InsertNameHere)” as well as inform/mention the use of their work where ever I use the image in.

It’s important to give credit where credit is due and especially now since copyright is particularly intense. Plus, every Designer/Photographer/Artist, etc puts effort into their work and we should always support once another especially if we are using their work in anything that we do. I feel it can bring new awareness to the said person which helps them gain more attention that they so well deserve for the work they put into it. I would always want the same courtesy if someone were to use my work as a reference I would appreciate/want the credit. Also, I would want to do the same for others in return since it is very important to do so. It’s sort of the mindset of treat others how you would want to be treated but in a more legal proper manner in terms of crediting.

My views on the Fairey Copyright Hope Poster case are complicated since I see both views on the case but I do have some points. In some way, I do agree with the fact Fairey should have contacted AP to use their photography for a piece that would garner so much attention in the art community. But that being said I do believe he made that image into his own using his artistic abilities which makes the piece different and unique to the photograph. If you are looking at the two pieces Fairey yes, was able to recreate the pose and look but he did not trace the said photo to its exact features. It is also very stylized but, not 100% accurate since I can see subtle differences between the two pieces. That fact that the piece is stylized with the subtle differences makes me stress the fair use being prominent in Fairey’s case. Though for example, I also a digital artist myself so I grew up learning how to draw through tracing cartoon characters to then looking at a character pose and recreating it as accurately as I could. But also there is the situation with Fairey selling said products using the image which makes things more difficult because AP does not profit even though it’s their image property. So I do believe at least half or a quarter of the profits should have gone to AP for using the image for-profit purposes and for exposure.