Presentations

In June 2008, one of my projects was featured on Renovation Nation on the Discovery Channel.  The host was Steve Thomas (from This Old House).  I spent time with Steve showing him the sustainable methods we used in the renovation of this turn of the century rowhouse.  We poured a self leveling epoxy floor with radiant heating, sprayed a sugar base spray insulation and tested recycled countertops that are made using old shells and bottles in the Brooklyn Navy Yard.  These segments were shown throughout the first season of the show.

Video Clip of Renovation Nation Episode

Countertop Excerpt from Renovation Nation

Write up of the show

My presentations are related to my teaching.  In developing a new course ARCH 3610 (611or 3611 old names)Design VI, I created a research thesis studio that allowed students to explore a building typology of their choice.  In the third semester of its existence, I was able to incorporate blogs, which I had been using in my architecture for documenting progress and the process of a project.  The students were so excited to be using blogs during the semester and documenting their work, that I had asked numerous Architects to follow each student and give comments as their proceeded through the process.  When Professor Lia joined me in teaching this course, we were able to create a database of over two hundred online reviewer (architects) around the world to comment on our students work.  We kept documentation of this process over the semesters and created a document to share with the community.  We presented at the Citytech Research Conference in April, 2013 and then our proposal was also accepted at the CUE Conference on May 10, 2013.  We continue this methodology and have incorporated the impact of Hurricane Sandy and place base learning with requiring the students to design their projects on the Redhook Waterfront.

City Tech Research Conference April 5, 2013  Program2013

CUE Conference Selected Presenter May 10, 2013

Connecting Students with Professionals around the World Presentation