This week, we spotlight a feature built into most smartphones that can facilitate mobile work on the OpenLab!
At our workshops, people sometimes ask if we can develop an OpenLab app, similar to the Blackboard app. They say they are pleased with the OpenLab’s mobile functionality, but it’s a pain to have to pull up your phone browser, then navigate to the OpenLab, then navigate to where you want to go. An app on the home screen would provide a handy shortcut. Luckily, you can do that already!
While app development is not currently in the works, there’s a very easy way to create your own shortcut to the OpenLab on your phone’s home screen. In this post, we will outline how to do it on both iOS and Android.
Creating an OpenLab Mobile Shortcut on iPhones
- Navigate in your phone browser (usually Safari, unless you use another browser) to the OpenLab page you want to create the shortcut to. This might be the OpenLab home page, or your own profile, or the profile or site of a particular course.
- Scroll up so that the bottom menu appears, revealing the forward/back buttons, the bookmark button, the share button, and the “view all tabs” button. (See Screenshot 1)
- Click on the “Share” button. It looks like a square with an arrow pointing upwards out of it. (See Screenshot 2)
- Scroll down until you see the option “Add to Home Screen.” Click on it! (See Screenshot 3)
- Adjust the name of the shortcut if you wish.
- Click “Add.” Now the shortcut to the page will appear as an icon along with your apps! You can delete it or move it around like you can with any of your apps. (See Screenshot 4)
Creating an OpenLab Mobile Shortcut on Android
- Navigate in your phone browser to the OpenLab page you want to create the shortcut to. This might be the OpenLab home page, or your own profile, or the profile or site of a particular course.
- Tap the “menu” button on your phone. (The Square button of the three white shapes pictured in Screenshot 1)
- Then click “Add to homescreen.”
- Change the name of the shortcut if you wish, and then click “Add.”
5. Now you will see a shortcut to your OpenLab page!
We hope this helps you use the OpenLab even more easily on mobile platforms. Many CUNY students, as well as faculty and staff, use their phones for academic work, and creating a shortcut (or more than one!) to the OpenLab can make that work even more streamlined.