This grading formula rewards consistent effort over the semester. There is a homework assignment every week. Please set aside several hours each week to do this assignment. If you complete all the assignments on time, you will do well in the class.
This grading formula is based on a point system. Each activity is awarded a certain number of points towards the final grade. You can at anytime see the points awarded to your assignments in the grade book on Blackboard.
Note that the changes are underlined.
- Homework: 40 pts. 8 @ 5 pts. If an assignment is done conscientiously and on time, the student will receive the full credit. If the assignment is late, one point will be subtracted for each week it is late.
- Learning Log: 5 points. Each student will keep a self-reflective blog about his or her own experience in this class. If responses are complete and well considered, full credit will be assigned. The Learning Log is not graded for “correct content” but for constructive effort.
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden 1 – 10 pts – work from field trips on 2/28 and 3/6
- Exercises: 15 pts. Short assignments given each work that can be completed during the class period or before the class that will be due at 2:30 during the class and submitted for review.
- Final Project – 25 pts – A series of self-portraits or a Still Life Series
- Quiz – 5 pts
- Extra Credit – 10 pts
The success of this course as a distance learning experience will depend on your participation. While I understand everyone is suffering in many ways right now, please be generous to your classmates and give them your time and attention. Please take the time to comment on their work both in and out of class.
March 20-week 7-Digital Darkroom, Critique
Organizing and editing images in Lightroom. Using the Histogram. Workflow. Global adjustments-lens corrections, transform, cropping, white balance, tone, presence. Sharpening.
HW5: Challenge Yourself: One Object
March 27th – unofficial class meeting
April 3-week 8- Exposure, Review
How the meter in your camera works, Exposure compensation, low key and high key images
HW6: Dorothea Lange
Spring Break – No class on April 10
April 17-week 9- Available Light Portraits
HW 7: Window light portraits
April 24-week 10-– Complimentary Portraits
May 1 – week 11- Food Photography
Final Project Shoot 1
May 8 -week 12– Digital Darkroom, Final Project Support
Review digital darkroom workflow. Local adjustments.
Final Project: Shoot 2
May 15th – unofficial class – Final Project Support and semester review
May 22-week 15- Quiz and Final Project Presentations