According to Jillian Tamaki, I think what is unique about her perspective about concepts is that she understands and acknowledges the work of concepts. She describes that concept is intended to be used as a pre-sketch, it prints out ideas, flaws, potentials based on what content the artist provides on their first try. After that, from mistakes could open up for solutions, it could be something to add on, to get rid of one, maybe speaking the right message or a misunderstanding message. It’s a process, generating ideas, without flaws or mistakes, this concept will never grow and adapt to perfection. Jillian Tamaki follows her own unique 7 steps of how to begin with a concept and most of these steps involve you to be inspired of what you see.

I think step 2 and 3 is by far the most concerning topic Jillian has ever said because I think collecting resources and reference can help you perform your general idea and recreate that scenario based on your imagination. Having to collect many sources can save you a lot of time and experience over the years. Taking one of the sources from your collection that speak to your ‘potential friend’ because after using that source, you will be using that for the rest of your concept idea. Learning from someone’s concept can be doable in many ways and it cannot insist without inspiration and sources.