Professor Woolley | COMD3313 OL74| FA20

Discussion 3 – Maria Iacono

Jillian Tamaki uses various steps when it comes to generating ideas. Jillian Tamaki gives good advice like starting out with words instead of just sitting down and drawing what comes to mind. I found that helpful because we did that when brainstorming ideas for our beverage design. She also says to gather images that help you even more to visualize what youre thinking in your head. This is something i find myself doing most often especially on pinterest or twitter. I gather as much visual inspiration as i can. Although Jillian also states in step three to “Take The Source Content Seriously” i find that step to be the most useless i guess you could say. I understand why she says its a good idea to read the descriptive words you didnt think of yourself but i find that to be the least helpful out of the steps. But it could also be because im lazy and i dont want to read a ten page front and back play or article.

Jillian Tamakis step four “Start With Words” is something new for me that i might start doing more and more. I found it easier to write down what youre thinking instead of jumping right into action. Its good to take it slow and start with a few descriptive words.

1. Sara G贸mez Woolley

Hello Maria-
    Good insights here! Also I appreciate your honesty. The one feedback would give you is this, though time consuming, really knowing your source material is pretty important, both for the creative process as well as accuracy. You cant be an expert in everything, so if you’re hired for gigs outside of your little area of expertise, theres alot that can go wrong through ignorance. BUT… lucky for us there are audio books, documentaries… lots of ways to research that can be a little more palatable. 馃檪

2. Kyle Sealy

Maria, I definitely felt that about the reading source material but it does help u take it the important stuff. Also the starting with words is also something I need to do more often.