Pleasures of the Outside

Finding the alternate route to school that would maximize the walking experience sounds easy to find. What is the focus of the walk? history? beauty? it all depends on the person’s personality and taste. I believe walking and admiring nature would help maximize the walking experience to school. Diane Ackerman wrote an article called “Are We Living in Sensory Overload or Sensory Poverty?”, here she gives her perspective on technology and how it affects our experience with nature. “Age, Grace, and the art of walking outside” (author not listed) stated the importance of experiencing nature. The author mentions in his article that taking a walk improves your mood and increase your ability to do better on tests. Other than focusing on time, we need to pay attention to our surroundings. I believe nature plays a large role in creating a great experience when choosing an alternate route to school. Technology has blinded us from viewing something so beautiful such as nature, a detour would provide the individual with some relaxation time and hopefully in the long run improvements academically.  

In the morning, I have one goal; arrive to class on time. I believe my goal is similar to every students in any school. I recommend taking an extra 10 minutes to finding a place where you can make a detour to enjoy some time alone to admire the scenery around you. Connecting with nature is very difficult especially in an urban area such as Brooklyn. Taking an extra 10 minutes in the morning to enjoy a simple walk could benefit the individual with peace and relaxation. Columbus Park and the Korean War Veterans plaza are the few places around City Tech where I can enjoy some aspect of nature. When arriving from the number 5 train from the Brooklyn Borough Hall station, you are able to see the Supreme Court building. Then you would have to walking straight through Columbus Park and enjoy the scenery. During this time of year I am able to see the trees change color from the bright green to an orange and yellow color. The colors of autumn. I am also able to see the animals such as birds and squirrels. Seeing how the animals move around peacefully in the little nature that they call home is very engaging. I believe this route integrates the aspect of nature with your morning walks to create a peaceful and delightful walk to school.

Diane Ackerman wrote an article called, “Are We Living in Sensory Overload or Sensory Poverty?” In this article, the author express her point of views towards technology and how it is affecting our perspective of nature. Ackerman is not opposed to technology, she is just concerned with the effects that technology has towards our viewers of nature. She states “… we’re spending less time alone with our thoughts, and even less relating to other animals and nature.” She believe a possible solution would be spending a few moments a day paying close attention to nature. I believe the morning detour to school would provide the element of nature that the individual should experience. Other than using technology to separate us from nature, we should use technology to maximize our experience with nature. We use our smartphones to connect with our friends and family, we could do the same by connecting ourselves with nature.

In the article  “Age, Grace, and the art of walking outside” (author not listed) from the Telegraph-Journal, mentions a study which was published in the Journal of Affective Disorder. The study states “[walking through nature] improves our mood and make us capable of better performance on a memory test.”  A simple walk through a park, having a moment to ourselves to reflects on our academic skills for school could improve our memory. Other than improving memory, a simple walk could help the person suffering from depression. The article also mentions how living in the urban areas is especially hard to experience nature. “There is a considerable negative effect on you as vehicle exhaust, horn blowing and the roar of traffic introduce air and sound pollution” Living in an urban environment has its sacrifice. During the morning walk to school I recommend listening to your favorite artist or any genre that relaxes you. This would improve your walking experience and lets you have that moment alone and get that relaxation you are thriving for.

Both articles, “Age, Grace, and the art of walking outside” by unknown, and “We Living in Sensory Overload or Sensory Poverty?” by Diane Ackerman stress the importance of experiencing nature. Technology has taken away our ability to think and experience something so peaceful such as nature. Taking some time to go in a little walk to experience nature would only be beneficial. Not only are you improving your physical health by walking a couple of extra blocks to school but you also improving your mental health. Taking a simple walk through the park, experiencing nature would decrease depression and also improve your ability to do better on a memory test.