Starting Peer Review

Peer Review evaluation criteria (a standard on which a judgment or decision may be based)

• improvements they can make on structure
  • do I have a clear understanding of their writing?
  • does it meet the requirements?
  • vocabulary: is it used properly? is it at the college level?
  • what stands out: positive or negative (e.g. “this is what stands out to me when I read this paragraph”; “this is what I understand when I read this paragraph”)
  • grammar and usage: look for things like run-on sentences and sentence fragments, punctuation, (AT THE END)
  • read it out loud
  • do they come across as they want to? for our bios, is it the brochure version?
  • be purposeful with I
  • Look at the grading guidelines to understand how it meets the expectations for ENG 1101 writing.

2 thoughts on “Starting Peer Review

1. Casylee

I have a question what if the person who evaluated my paper didn’t give feed back on what I needed to work on or improve. All that person did was agree to what i wrote so I honestly don’t have that much of a start.

1. Jody R. Rosen Post author

Great question! If you feel comfortable, ask your partner for more help. Try asking your partner for more input about a specific section, or ask more specific questions that you want answered to help move your revision along. Also, you can ask yourself some of the peer questions, you can ask someone else in class for help, or you can ask someone else in your life for help! You can also email me (jrrosen (at) citytech (dot) cuny (dot) edu) to ask specific questions about your project–so please do if you want me to offer feedback on a particular aspect of your work.