Professor Woolley | COMD3313 OL74| FA20

Discussion Week 4: Angela Iacono

The artist that I chose for discussion week 4 is named Loputyn and I believe that she used a program for digital illustration, and I found this photo on her instagram. I think one compositional technique the illustrator used is directional lines because there’s one that leads up the figure and then there is one where the girl is looking in the mirror, it leads your eye right up to the figure so you can see what they are seeing. I also think this certain illustrator thought about negative space and the illustration balances really well. The negative space of the image is really needed because of how busy the middle of the illustration is. I think it鈥檚 balanced because there鈥檚 the girl looking in the mirror on the right side and the figure coming out of the mirror on the left side. I think all these techniques work really well together and are super effective because they help tell a story and they allow the viewer to sit back and think and I believe that鈥檚 what a good composition should do. I think I would integrate more directional lines into my artwork to make it more dynamic because my art tends to be very one dimensional and isn鈥檛 as efforless and groovy as I鈥檇 like it to be, much like how loputyn鈥檚 illustrations are.

Some of my Favorites she’s done

1. Salome Mindiashvili

I would totally agree with the fact that this composition is very well balanced. I also really like how her head is tilted down and the second face is looking up, placed so close. The negative space in the background leaves a lot of room for a viewer to breathe and digest the image 馃檪

2. Sara G贸mez Woolley

Angela, what a FANTASTIC example! I love the negative space and the movement here. Also the mirror image is a great example of intentionally using balance for play with the theme of the image!