Professor Woolley | COMD3313 OL74| FA20

Discussion 3-Angela Iacono

The steps that Jillian Tamaki takes to create illustrations is simple and yet very thorough. First she starts off by surrounding herself she likes that not only can inspire her for a good idea but also allows herself to be around things that interest her. Then, she starts saving pictures and gathering anything that she loves and saves it into folders and even has subcategories for everything, just like a Pinterest board but just making it yourself. Next, she states that you must take the content seriously otherwise what is the point. She states that if you鈥檙e reading something you should take notes and doodle whatever imagery comes to your mind and that helps her a lot. Then, she brainstorms words that go along with her illustration concepts, she thinks up as many synonyms and metaphors as possible before she starts sketching. Next, she adds images to connect to her imagery or words so that way she can further visualize the illustration at the end. This part allows her to be as accurate to the real world as possible in terms of setting. She then advises you to mix your ideas and then finally thumbnails. For me personally this seems very intense and excessive. While I understand her points and am happy it works for her it feels like she could just do steps two, five, and seven. I do however, like her, gather images I like and inspire me whether it be from another artist or landscape paintings. I just recently started to brainstorm words and connect them to images and it helps me a lot. It allows me to be creative and not just stare at my sketchbook or draw the same thing twelve times.

1. Sara G贸mez Woolley

Angela I hear you! Yes this method is pretty involved and intense. BUT, it works for her. The key is to find the method of feeding your creative process that works for you.