Right off the bat, I love how Steven uses a sketchbook as a diary. It allows us to draw what’s on our mind whether we’re free drawing to let our minds vent or we have a greater composition on our mind or thumbnailing. It allows us to put our thoughts down and let us express ourselves. Most of the time I tend to put thumbnails down for commissions or big projects I’d work on

The Part about always having time to draw is so true. Even this summer when I was at work I would have a sketchbook in the break room or when I had to be the doorman for that shift I would be drawing on little index cards also using the objects in front of me when I was the doorman, I was able to practice still life as well which was a nice refresher from my usual drawings that I do at home of figures.

Overall this article is extremely helpful and encouraging as it helps you eliminate but the could’ve/would’ve as, in order to develop your skills you need to consistently be practicing, Jim Lee actually said that we should spend at least 3-5 years of constant sketching to develop our skills