Read and React 4

When I first started at Disney I had an idea in my head that I was just going to be doing the same thing over and over at work everyday. I started thinking that I am most likely going to hate my job come the holiday season thus not creating a lot of magic. Needless to say I was wrong. Keeping the magic alive at Disney is something that we do without even thinking.

At PVH we do something called a blue fairy magical moment. This is when we select a child in the restaurant and we go up to them and talk to them and gather information. We find out their name, where they are from, and who their favorite prince or princess is.  From there we tell them that the Blue Fairy  would like you to write in her wish book for her. We then escort the child to the wish book where he/she writes what they wish for. We then push a button and the book lights up. We then take this information and we go out to a store in Fantasyland and buy them something that we think they are going to like. We then go back into the restaurant and we get everyones attention and we ask everyone where they are from and then we specifically ask if anyone is from the same place that the child we selected is from. We then ask them if anyone from that place is named the child’s name. Once we narrow it down to the child we selected we say “the Blue Fairy has left this for you” and give them the gift we bought.

For full time cast members keeping the magic alive is hard. A lot of times I see the full time cast members setting a poor example to newer cast members by not engaging with the guests or having their backs to them on counter. However I believe they keep it alive with motivation from management. We got a new area leader and when she took over everything changed the magic was alive again both onstage and offstage. I find that if the area leader does not really show interest in their location then the cast members will take notice and think that this is okay to do.

This entry was posted in Read and React 4. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Read and React 4

1. Can you relate this powerful standard of guest satisfaction with a concept communicated in the article?

I like what you do at work to bring excitement to the guest. Do you find that full time cast members participate in the “Blue Fairy” activity as often as temporary employees?