Reflective Journal #13

(I’m sorry for the bad quality picture!)

I finally got my very first guest fanatic card as a housekeeper!! I was so happy when my manager told me I got one. I never thought I would’ve gotten one, but I did before my program ends! I’m shocked that I got the guest fanatic card because my manager happened to come across this note. She doesn’t do walks often to check up on us. In fact, during check-outs, I often get these notes from my precious guests, and I’m sure a lot of other housekeepers do too. I guess we’re all just waiting for the chance of our manager coming into one of our check-out rooms to realize we get these notes left from our guests.

Even though I’ve been waiting for a long time for the good news (to learn other roles), I still haven’t heard anything even though I’ve been told they would change me. When I asked my manager if she’s heard anything, she told me she’ll help me ask. The next day, I found out they said it’s already too late to change me, so they would just keep me in housekeeping. I was really disappointed. Why would they tell me they would change me when they couldn’t? I was really mad at first because I felt like I haven’t really experienced much from this internship. It feels more like a “job” instead of an “internship”. I applied to the DCP to learn and not to work enough to pay for my rent and food. I could’ve done that in NYC instead of giving up so much to come all the way to FL to clean rooms. It’s okay though, because my program is ending and I just can’t wait to go back home!

This entry was posted in Reflective Photo Journals. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Reflective Journal #13

1. As CPs approach the end of their contact it is often frustrating to look at your goals and not accomplish all of them. Have you trailed your manager? This action can help you learn more. Make a list of what you know now, both personally and professionally and I hope that your outlook on your experience will be different.

Be proud of your Guest Fanatic Card. Congratulations.

• Fiona says:

Thank you Professor Goodlad! I am definitely proud of my guest fanatic card. I have not gotten the chance the trail my manager because I never found the extra time to do so and they always seem to be too busy but I do often work together with my manager since I have a lot of VIPs in my section, so my manager often comes to check up on the rooms, and we would sometimes clean together too. Also, my guests mostly have special requests, so I have to always call my manager almost everyday, so I have a hunch of what she mostly does day to day basis.
      Fiona
      Housekeeper
      Caribbean Beach Resort

2. momo7991 says:

I just got my first one today, in my mind it was about time. If you ask me, they don’t give enough of them out. As hard as we all work they should be handed out a lot more.

3. hsrtyuksel says:

Congratulations with your great fanatic card. I was wondering how come you never showed your manager the notes your guests leave during check outs. In Port Orleans every note the housekeepers recieve are shown to the managers and they hold on to them for recognition.

Hasret Yuksel
    Housekeeping
    Port Orleans Riverside