For the thrill

I think it’s true what “they” say: “it’s never as bad as it seems.” With the help of some girlfriends (including Nicole Wong and Jennifer Medina), I recently conquered a long-time fear of mine—roller coasters.

We were at Hollywood Studios last Thursday for what I hoped would be a mellow evening. I quickly realized that I was wrong as well as completely outnumbered–I was the only non-rollercoaster riding person!

I was “given” a choice of Rockin’ Roller Coaster or The Tower of Terror. I collected some “research,” asked them thoroughly about each of the rides and what they involved- how fast does it go?, how are the drops?, how long is the ride? etc. in order to make a “sound” decision. We grabbed fast passes to the Tower of Terror, and ahem conveniently ended up at Rockin’ Roller Coaster. I was talked in to getting on the coaster after speaking with a cast member, at the entrance, and were treated to fast passes.

We headed in, and I could feel my heart pounding, and my palms sweating as we got closer especially when I heard the guests before me begin their ride. While we waited on line, the girls warned me to not look because it would make it worse, but of course, I did. We got on, I grabbed my friend’s hand, gripped the handlebars and shut my eyes.

It turned out to be pretty amazing. It is really “never as bad as it seems.” Truth be told, the anticipation was far worse than actuality or the fear even unwarranted. I was thinking worst-case scenario and obviously over-thinking roller coasters, which also applies to how I approach other aspects of my life.

Logically I know stressing out does not lead to solutions nor is it fun. I need to not only relax, but learn to enjoy myself, and create an experience that extends beyond working, and going to classes.  I am already a month and a half in, and I, certainly, don’t want to waste the remainder of the program. This time, I will relax, go for it, and keep my eyes open because I won’t know how things will turn out, and I may be pleasantly surprised.

Suzanne

Front Desk Cashier

Fort Wilderness Resort and Campgrounds

This entry was posted in Reflective Photo Journals. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to For the thrill

1. hsrtyuksel says:

I am glad you decided to go on and overcome your fear of roller coasters. I, on the other hand, love coasters. All the speed, bumps and turns. Call me crazy. But this is an experience for you and now you know that it is not as bad as you thought. Plus, trying it out for yourself is even better then watching or asking questions about it. I believe this was your “experiential learning.” If you have read Michaeal J. Fox’s book, you would know the saying ” live to learn.” Which I definetely agree with. Next time have your eyes open, scream your lungs out and have fun.

Hasret
    Housekeeping
    Port Orleans Riverside

2. mcompetiello says:

Being that I am a rollercoaster junkie, rides like rock’n rollercoaster and the tower of terror seem so calm to me. Everyone asks me how I can stay so quiet with my eyes open for the duration of the ride. My favorite part has to be witnessing the reactions of my fellow riders aroundme . One can learn a lot about people when they are faced with situations involving fear and adrenaline. So eyes open or closed, gripping the handlebars or not, I truly enjoy the universal reaction of a thrill ride.