March 24, 2022 1:40 PM

For this week’s sketchbook assignment, we were asked to illustrate two closeups of objects with differing textures and then use various inking materials to illustrate those textures. For this, I ended up choosing a closeup shot of a stone wall for the first illustration and a closeup shot of a rose petal with dew drops on it for the second illustration. I chose these two because I believed both of them had different enough textures to warrant illustrating them. For the stone wall, I decided to use hatching and stippling as my main shading methods as I believed it better illustrated the “rough texture” look I wanted to go for. For the rose petal, I mainly went with the stippling method as I believed it would better illustrate the softness of a rose petal. However, I ended up using cross-hatching for the background in order to better illustrate positive and negative space. For both of these illustrations, I used a combination of Pigma Micron pens and Faber Castell pens. At first, I created the sketch using an H level pencil. Then, I inked in the sketches with the smallest line weight I could achieve with the 005 Pigma Micron pen. This would allow me to back later and give parts with more heavy shadows a thicker line weight. I also used the 005 Pigma Micron pen to do the stippling, hatching, and crosshatching seen in the 2 illustrations. For the first illustration, I used an M line Faber Castell pen to illustrate the darker cracks between the stones.