The article I have chosen to do an editorial illustration of is one published by The Economist titled “Will China offer Russia financial help?”
The article is about China’s endeavors to financially and economically support Russia after being hit with western sanctions while still retaining their access to the global financial system. According to the article, the intention of this is that China wants to undermine the legitimacy and power of Western sanctions. They want to see Russia survive these sanctions and they refuse to condemn Putin for his actions against Ukraine. China plans on maintaining its arrangments with Russian with low trade volumes and minimal financial transactions through Chinese banks that are too small to have a presence in the West.
The most important stakeholders in this article are China and Russia. China has the highest risk since they need to manage financially supporting Russia while mainting its own place and access to the global financial system. They are afraid that if a country like America found out about the trade happening between Russia and China, that they would be hit with the same sanctions that Russia has been hit with.
I implimented this in my mind map and picked out key phrases from the article such as “half hearted help effort” and “conduit”. I believed words like this would help me get a better idea of the strained relationship between Russia and China after currently dealing with western sanctions.
Overall Project Description:
Create an Editorial Illustration for use as a cover illustration for an article in a magazine printed or online.
Work will be judged on the clarity and cleverness of the overall concept, thoughtful utilization of composition, the use of value, and of course the skillfulness of overall technique.
The final illustration may be traditional or use a limited palate.
Note the faster turn around time! Illustrations meant for publication in Magazines and Newspapers, digital or traditional, have very quick deadlines.
So does this project. Work efficiently.
50 % project grade Submit a PDF PROCESS BOOK guiding us through the project from inception to conclusion.
- Carefully SCAN your process work. This should include : Link to Article, Brainstorm, Thumbnails, Concept Sketches, Value Roughs, Color Roughs, Related Sketchbook Work, and Final Art.
- Carefully Label all of your work so that your thought process is CLEAR. Be sure all of it is presented well: facing the right way, no shadows in the picture, good contrast, etc.
50 % project grade Submit a publication ready 300 DPI JPEG of Final ART
- The final color illustration must be created using a limited palate.
- It should be made using a combination of traditional and digital drawing, inking and coloring skills.
- Final art should be made to fit the real magazine’s specs if there is a print version, 8″x10″
- Solution is image based.
- Students will be required to present the illustration alone, as well as a digital mock up of the illustration with the Magazine Masthead.
- Work in Progress should be posted for feedback to the OPEN LAB, (categorize as work in progress)
- Part 1, Brainstorming and Research : Generate Ideas, find new ones through research. Come up with at least 3 concepts to discuss with your client.
- Part 2, Thumbnails & Concept Sketches
- Part 3, Editorial Illustration Final Art: Using any combination of Pencil, Ink and Digital techniques create your final limited palate, color editorial illustration.