The Not so Interesting Me

There is really not a lot to say about me because I do not have a very active or adventurous lifestyle.   My life does not make people “oooo” and “ahhh,” so, I am introducing a plain/generic life to you.

I was born and raised in Brooklyn, New York with the aspiration of one day becoming a doctor. I had always set my heart to become a doctor and help others in their ailments. As I got older and tried to pursue this dream, well the dream of my parents, I volunteered at hospitals and found jobs working in the health field. I pursued something that my parents wanted me to have, however, this was not attainable for me because I was not doing well in basic biology 101. While working as a certified nurse assistant I started to learn that I did not want to work in a field that I was getting annoyed with every single day and that this field was not for me. I made up my mind that I rather make less money in a career that I love than more money in a career that I hate. I also had to make the decision to let go the definition of what was a true profession from my parent’s standpoint. Eventually, this led me to changing my major to Law and Paralegal Studies.

So, let me be honest I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I did not know anything about the law. With my own life experience, I never wanted to get involved in law. I would always say, “I do not like the police, marshals, FBI, lawyers, and anyone else involved in law enforcement.” And maybe I still have a lack of trust for them but I love the law. After getting the chance to go to the courts in my school assignments (e.g. NYS Family Court, NYS Criminal Court, NYS Civil Court, etc.), I got to experience the inner workings of the court, how the law was being used to come to the verdict, and the hard decisions that judges had to experience when deciding cases. I also got a chance to speak to a judge and realized these judges were people too. They were not piously sitting on a throne for people to bow and worship them. They had to make, sometimes, tough decisions that they could not go by their feelings alone but the law itself. Now, that I am a junior in college, I have aspirations of going to law school. I have not considered what field of law I want to work in because there are so many choices to pick from but I think when I am in law school the answer will eventually come to me.

Besides my professional goals, I also like baking. Baking is my escape from school. I can be creative and make up different flavor combinations of cakes, cookies, bars, breads, and other desserts. Law is not in my mind 24 hours a day/seven days a week, so the baking gives my mind a break from school and life. Also, my family gets to be my personal guinea pig in tasting my creations.

“Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life”

Confucius