Beloved

In the novel Beloved by Toni Morrison, it’s clear that the main characters in the novel have gone through things that have shaped them up to be the people they are. Sethe killed her child, Denver is ignored to the point her only friend is a ghost. Although these two are the main people of 124, i feel Paul D’s arrival is a pivotal point in this novel. It’s been 18 years since Sethe and Paul D last seen each other, back in sweet home. Before Paul D’s arrival, Sethe and Denver were living with ghost’s that made a large amount of noises. According to Sethe, the noises kept people away from the house, which is why Sethe and Denver never had visitors.

In the beginning of the novel, Sethe and Paul D are talking on the porch, just as they were entering the house, Sethe warns him.

…”  ‘You could stay the night, Paul D.’ ‘You don’t sound too steady in the offer.’  Sethe glanced beyond his shoulder toward the closed door. ‘Oh it’s truly meant. I just hope you’ll pardon my house. Come on in. Talk to Denver while i cook you something.’ Paul D tied his shoe together, hung them over his shoulder and followed her through the door straight into a pool of red and undulating light that locked him where he stood. ‘You got company?’ he whispered, frowning. ‘Off and on,’ said Sethe. ‘Good god.’ He backed out the door onto the porch. ‘What kind of evil you got in here?’ ‘Its not evil, just sad. Come on. Just step through.’ “(Morrison 5, PDF)

In this scene, Sethe starts telling Paul D about the spirit that’s been haunting 124 for the past few years. By reading that paragraph, you can see how hesitant Paul D was in entering the house. Paul D even suggested staying out on the porch. As they spoke in the dinning room, the ghost seemed to have gotten upset of the words Paul D spoke because the house started acting up again.

…”It took him a while to realize that his legs were not shaking because of worry, but because the floorboards were and the grinding, shoving floor was only part of it. The house itself was pitching. Sethe slid to the floor and struggled to get back into her dress. While down on all fours, as though she were holding her house down on the ground, Denver burst from the keeping room, terror in her eyes, a vague smile on her lips. ‘God damn it! Hush up!’ Paul D was shouting, falling, reaching for anchor. ‘Leave the place alone! Get the hell out!’ A table rushed toward him and he grabbed its leg. Somehow he managed to stand at an angle and, holding the table by two legs, he bashed it about, wrecking everything, screaming back at the screaming house. ‘You want to fight, come on! god damn it! She got enough without you. She got enough!’ (Morrison 11, PDF)

I believe that if it wasn’t for this scene where Paul D scared of the ghost, Beloved would of never shown up. Without Beloved there would be no book. Had Paul D not arrived, it would of been an ordinary day at 124 with weird noises coming out of it, the usual. Paul D as we know has suffered as much as Sethe. Sethe had no one to speak to about her problems, which is why it’s a good thing Paul D showed up when he did. The very first day, she told him about the incident where School Teacher’s nephews stole her milk. (Morrison, pg 10-11, PDF) Paul D on the other hand, it took him awhile before he was able to speak about his painful past. Paul D was scar to the point he didn’t allow himself to get too attached to anything. Being at 124 with Sethe helped him open up, and feel loved. Paul D’s arrival was also a pivotal to this novel because he’s the last one that has seen Halle, Sethe’s husband. Paul D explains to Sethe that Halle saw everything that happened to Sethe when she was in the barn with School Teacher and his nephews. Paul D explained how this incident changed Halle, how he wasn’t the same after that. Paul D defended Halle basically by saying Halle was completely destroyed about the situation. (Morrison 40-41, PDF) I think if it wasn’t for Paul D telling Sethe about her husband, she would of never moved on in a way. Sethe this whole time thought that Halle abandoned her when they were supposed to escape together. I guess you can argue he did.

Paul D wasn’t to thrill with Beloved’s arrival. He would ask her questions regarding family, etc.

…” ‘Ain’t you got no brothers or sisters?’ Beloved diddled her spoon but did not look at him. ‘I don’t have nobody.’ “What was you looking for when you came here?’ he asked her. ‘This place. I was looking for this place I could be in.’ ‘Somebody tell you about this house?’ ‘She told me. When I was at the bridge, she told me.’ ‘Must be somebody from the old days,’ Sethe said. The days when 124 was a way station where messages came and then their senders. Where bits of news soaked like dried beans in spring water–until they were soft enough to digest. ‘How’d you come? Who brought you?’ Now she looked steadily at him, but did not answer.” (Morrison 38, PDF)

Throughout the novel, it’s like an all out war for Sethe’s love between Paul D, Beloved, and Denver. Denver her whole life she’s been ignored at home and out in town as well. No one ever spoke to her because they knew what her mother had done. Also because she lives in a house with a spirit who she calls her sister. Paul D and Denver never really got along in the beginning. Denver gave that sort of vibe that Paul D was just going to ruin things with his arrival.

To sum up this essay, my argument is that Paul D was pivotal to this story. Without Paul D, things wouldn’t have happened the way it did. I think Beloved would of never came back if it wasn’t for Paul D. I also believe Sethe wouldn’t have been able to get over her past if it wasn’t for his arrival, and also vice versa.