Plaques

Plaques(noun)a thin, flat plate or tablet of metal, porcelain, etc., intended for ornament, as on a wall, or set in a piece of furniture.

“On its face, the whole project is Stalinist: Just as the Soviet dictator purged historical photographs to remove his defeated rivals from the record, this aims to take down (or annotate with politically correct plaques) monuments raised in the past on the grounds that, wow, some New Yorkers no longer see things the same way.” “De Blasio’s begging for trouble with this ‘monument review’ commission”

When I encounter the word Plaques, I have no idea what it mean. I never heard of it and context clues wasn’t helping me at all. After I read the definition, it gave me a picture of an award, an award that can be hang on the wall or set in a piece of furniture as the definition said. I thought it’s just a piece of round metal that we receive for our achievements but it’s way different than I thought until I found a picture online. I’ve figured that a plaques is what we use for “hall of fame” award in grades school. I’ve seen it multiply time but never knew that it has their own name; plaques.