Sensibility

Sensibility (Noun): The ability to appreciate and respond to complex emotional or aesthetic influences; sensitivity.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sensibility

“… In addition to the details about yourself that you choose to include, be sure to also identify what you are passionate about, personal philosophy, or aesthetic sensibility that guides you, and your goals for where you will be five to ten years.”    (Project#1:Introducing Yourself)

I encounter this word when I was reading over our handouts in class. It stood out to me during class as an unfamiliar word but it later came up as I was reviewing the paper again. I realized it was a harder word to guess from the context it was used. I had to look it up and see how it is used in a sentence to understand it a little better.

I’m still a little confused on the word but to my understanding I believe the word means “To see,hear, read , or think about something and respond to it with feelings/emotions”. My definition may not be accurate but its my understanding of the word. What is yours ?

• In this photo, these two women seen something and responded to it with feelings/emotion of being shocked/confused.

Image result for sensibility

1 thought on “Sensibility

1. Jody R. Rosen

The third definition of the word seems more fitting: “awareness of and responsiveness toward something (such as emotion in another)”–where the thing that you’re aware of or responsive to is aesthetics rather than emotion. Check out the second definition of aesthetic on m-w.com.