Reflection 2: What Kind of Graphic Designer Am I?

In my class on Tuesday, September 5th, the question ā€œWhat kind of graphic designer am I?ā€ was brought to my attention. For a while I wasnā€™t too sure how to go about answering that question. Quite frankly I still donā€™t have a definitive answer for that. I feel as though the answer needs to leave room for change as the individual answers that question for his or herself. In my last reflection, I meant what I said when saying,ā€œI want to be a brand.ā€ I want to be someone who when showing people something I have created, whether itā€™s for music, graphic design, illustration, animation or game design, those who look at my work can say ā€œMijori did that.ā€ Or ā€œThat looks like Mijoriā€™s work.ā€ That is one my dreams.

Looking back on the work that Iā€™ve done, Iā€™ve gone through some things. Itā€™s a little funny. Iā€™ve experimented a lot with black, white, and pencil. In design, I love organized chaos. I love how making the best work could often times be with design boundaries. I love, and often try to stick by ā€œWhen brainstorming on ideas, try everything.ā€ Iā€™ve learned that all too well. I am now learning the principles of animation and game design, so we will both see how that turns out. I know that I have a lot more referencing and learning to do. Regardless, I still have had a lot of work completed and have been proud of where Iā€™ve been and how far Iā€™ve come. I have been able to do more than I thought I was going to be able to do, and have been able to learn from my mistakes, taking all the lessons with me after I graduate (hurry up and get here).

Before I came to school for graphic design, I was looking a lot of anime, contemporary art, animations, and music. Iā€™ve been able to sell some of my drawings, and have been able to say that being in the field of communication and art design is part of what I want to do. Iā€™ve moved on to making tattoo ideas for people, tattoo ideas for myself, and just drawing to draw and get better at what I know. I have also been able to design pieces of work that made it into the student gallery every single semester. These were pieces of work that I put my all into and took risks that I didnā€™t dare to take when I was little. I now am looking forward to what I have to offer the world and what the world has to offer me. I believe that there is always room for learning new things. It helps to work on what you know and work harder on what you donā€™t know anything about. Following this method makes people stronger.

To be honest, for a while I didnā€™t know who I was and where I wanted to go and exactly how to get there. Iā€™ve learned that finding myself is never easy and it takes trial and error to get a better understanding of what you do, regardless of it being personal or professional. I think that in this field of visual communication, you can find who are through your work and through what works for you and what doesnā€™t.

My strong suits when it comes to how I work and who I am are that I love to multitask, I am very optimistic, organized, creative, modest, humorous, curious, and adventurous. I am always looking for the answer to something. Even though finding out what kind of graphic designer I am is always subject to change, I think that I am an eccentric, down to earth, inquisitive, reliable, humble graphic designer, animator, illustrator and game designer who wants to make her brand known through her work in her own very unique way.