Reflection 1: Day One

On August 29th, I had my first class in Graphic Design Concepts. It was a brief refresher of the things I had touched on in some of my other classes like History of Graphic Design, Communication Workshop and Design Team. Already, on day one, we went from the beginning to present graphic design. From the Gutenberg Bible to graphic design concepts used today, we were asked questions about the time and what crucial themes of design were seen at each graphic design era. In addition, we were asked to reflect on what we wanted or expected  to learn in this class.

Graphic design is a method used to communicate ideas to a society. Whether it is in the US, France, Germany, or any other location around the world, graphic design is used to highlight the social needs and wants of a group of people, subconsciously allowing the individual to wonder and inquire on a product or idea. With this in mind, I have added this definition of graphic design to my life as a visual problem solver. Whether the topic of question is about health, family, love, life, global ideas and or problems. I must use what is around me to visually broadcast any problem or solution to the masses.

Right now, I am trying to figure out how to get to the stage in my career where I can broadcast my perspective on ideas. I am always trying to figure out what I need to do in order to get to where I want and need to be. In life, I strive to be many things; A singer songwriter mostly, an album cover artist, music video animator, graphic designer, illustrator, game designer. Being in this field of creative work, I strive to make myself known. I want to be a brand. It sounds weird when I put it that way, but the first thing that a graphic designer of any kind should sell and foremost is oneself. You are your greatest product (with trial and error of course), and every great product needs to be put out there.

I have so many questions. What other than visually solving problems is to be expected of me in this world of Graphic Design? Where will I be able to go with my work? (Probably anywhere. We’ll see) How do I get started? What can I do to get better? (other than referencing like crazy) How much will I make? (this girl needs to eat and do “adulting” too) What do I need in order to be my best self? What about interviewing? Am I ready for what the graphic world has to offer? Inquiring minds would like to know.

I’m looking forward to being a student in my Graphic Design Concepts class. I feel as though I will be able to learn a lot and use what I have learned to be better at what I do and what I want to do in my future of being a graphic designer. I hope to be the best Mijori I can ever be.