Thursday – 09/06/18
- Bring all requested class materials to class (Tracing paper, ruler, pencils, micron pens)
- 8-15 pictures of type in your neighborhood (examples from each of the 5 categories we discussed in class)
- Anatomy of a Letterform
- History of Type & the Development of the Written Language
- Type Styles and Categories – Five Classic Typefaces Styles
- Typefaces vs. Fonts,
- Families, Variations
- Draw select letters from the 5 main families of type by tracing.
(The letters will be provided.)
- Trace selected letters of alphabet
- Read: Prof. Clarke’s posting on ‘Latin Letterforms‘ from her 01/2014 OpenLab page
- Read: The two PDF presentations that I presented in class: In-class Presentations
- Type Journal 02 Finish in class Exercise02
- Type Journal 03: COMD1127-TypeJournal-03
Choose 5 of your photos from last class. Write 3 paragraphs about what the typography of your neighborhood says about the character and makeup of that community. Send me links to your writings.Some things you could talk about:
- Is the typography well-crafted or does it look as if it were done by a non-designer?
- Is there any hand written lettering, was it digitally produced?
- Is it created by people in the community (businesses, etc.) or is it mostly produced by the government (street signs, etc.)?