Week 4 Weekly Assignment (Feb. 23rd)

STEP 3: Find and Analyze Your Artifact

Find one artifact from your Discourse Community. The artifact might provide information about the DC’s mode of communication, values or goals, specific lexis, etc.

It is preferable if the artifact is a primary source. The artifact should provide information about the Discourse Community or be meaningful to the community. 

Examples of artifacts: an interview with a member of the community, a song, a speech, an example of the DCs publications (brochure, newsletter), letters, a poem, a book, biography/ autobiography, a tattoo, memes) 

Due Thursday 2/25

What artifact are you going to choose? WHY are you going to use this artifact?
Description of Artifact

What does the artifact look like? Where is it?  Why is this artifact important to your DC? How does your DC use the artifact? Describe the artifact and how it is used!

Genre/ Audience/ Purpose

What is the genre of the artifact?

Who is the intended audience of the artifact?

What is the purpose of the artifact?

Rhetorical Appeals

Does the artifact contain examples of ethos, pathos or logos? Find it and describe it! 

How does the artifact develop credibility?

How does the artifact appeal to the emotions of the members of the DC?

How does the artifact appeal to the logic of the DCs members?

How effective is the message?

What is the voice/ tone of the artifact? (formal, informal, etc)

1. mustapha

My artifact from my discourse community are the tweets or memes that are made after something crazy or funny happens in a fight. I am choosing this artifact because this is what really makes the community come together and either support something mazing that went down that night, or to joke at something comical that occurred that night. The artifact could come in the form of a video, a picture, gif or just words. As long as it relates to the fights, it’s acceptable. We usually leave room for other people to put their thoughts out there as well, by replying back and forth.

2. mustapha

3. mustapha

• mustapha

The genre of the artifact is Non fiction and comedy in a way. It’s non-fiction, or partly that, because sometimes a fighters career stats would be posted, usually if they are on a winning or losing streak. I’d also say its a comedy because Most of the time its just guys making fun of the fighters making a mistake or something. The intended audience for the artifact are not only people that are fight fans, but also people that like to laugh at dumb memes. The purpose of the meme is to just have a fun time watching and reacting to fights with people.
      My artifact contains bits of logos, because you truly can learn a lot by interacting with mma fans on any social media app. Whether you want to learn a specific move or why a fighter is able to do a certain style, it’s layers on layers knowledge. It develops credibility by gaining a co-sign from former or current pro fighters. That lets us know the person has some idea of what they’re talking about. It appeals to the emotions of the community by providing all members with both good and bad times, but that’s the only real way to grow as a community.

4. Tenzin Namgyal

My artifact from my discourse community is the ESPN Fantasy Sports app. I am choosing this artifact because our discourse community mostly revolves around our fantasy league and the league is played through this app. In this app we get news about players and anything basketball related regarding whether a player has gotten injured or won’t be playing today or if they got a career high on the night. This is what makes us all come together seeing how the players in our fantasy teams perform and based on their performance we earn points. The app also has basketball highlights of individual players which is entertaining to watch or nice if you missed the game.

The genre of this artifact is non fiction but also a little fiction at the same time, and let me explain why. It is non fiction due to the fact that players real life performance is what makes the league interesting and fun. But it fiction because it a league run by people in the discourse community and the players are all mixed up.

The intended audience of the artifact is mostly basketball fans, but also those who like to bet and play games to compete with friends or random people.

The purpose of the artifact is to let basketball fans compete with strangers of friends in a fake league with their favorite players, and see who can get the most points.

My artifact has logos and pathos. Logos because you have to be logical, you don’t want to pick a team full of bad players good players are needed to win. You must look at their stats and be logical. Pathos because sometimes 2 players can be similar in level but one player can have more of an emotional appeal over you than the other player. For instance, if you were a nets fan, and you had the choice to chose over Kevin Durant or Lebron you would probably pick Kevin Durant because he plays for your team.

My artifact has credibility because its an official ESPN app, and everything is based of what is happening in the real NBA.

My artifact appeals to the emotions of the community by giving all the members something to look forward to week in and week out. It fun to compete with your friends and adding money makes it even more competitive

It affects the logic of the community as well because it we lean more about the sport from each other, and how to tell if certain players will do well or if they will do bad.

The tone of the artifact is informal because it gives us so much information about the players.

5. Hamely Jose Taveras

Description of Artifact
    The artifact is uniform. We have a black jersey with an eagle and the school name with your game number. This artifact important to my DC because it defines our team. It shows our colors, our last name, our school name, and spirit animal. To describe the uniform:
    *TOP
    Black long sleeve jersey
    Slightly tight in the arms
    It has in burgundy and white outline letter it has our school name ( Esperanza) and number
    It has a white line curving the hips and in the arm
    Black shorts
    Black or white kneed pads
    Long burgundy or black socks
    With some sports sneakers ( you may want to us high tops for protection of your ankles)

Genre/ Audience/ Purpose
    What is the genre of the artifact?
    The genre of the artifact is a sports uniform.
    The intended audience of the artifact is the people that watch the volleyball games, the couches, different teams, and just people everywhere that see us with our uniform.
    What is the purpose of the artifact?
    The purpose of this uniform is to show team unity, which in turn can keep players motivated to succeed. It also creates solidarity between players and fans. It shows who we are.

Rhetorical Appeals
    Does the artifact contain examples of ethos, pathos, or logos? Find it and describe it!
    The uniform contains examples of ethos because it shows who we are like it is unique and each jersey has its own number. It shows pathos with the color as we pick the color black just a very dark color therefore we stand out. By wearing the uniform you feel pride in being part of the team.
    The article develops credibility because it shows the school name like personal branding it has its unique design. The uniform shows credibility because it shows who we are and it was very important to get the uniform and the time it takes to be designed.
    The artifact appeal to the emotion of the member of the Volleyball like it make use feel pride, it makes us feel like we belong. We feel like we are part of something. It’s one of the best feelings.
    I think the artifact appeal to the logic of the DCs members is like the number of identify us and then when people see our uniforms and see what we make points and score we make.
    How effective is the message?
    The message is very effective because having something to wear that everyone sees and know that a small group is a part of everything.
    This artifact does not have a tone but is its very formal like its very cover-ups just that the shorts are short but you can wear a longer one if needed.

6. Arian Qosaj

My artifact from my discourse community is nursing scrubs. I am choosing this artifact because in my discourse community it represents who I am and it shows how I am apart of the hospitality community. My artifact is a pair of pants and a shirt that can be any specific color, which shows which department of the hospital you work for. My artifact is important to my discourse community because it shows what job we have and how we all are apart of one community in which we work together.

The genre of my artifact is non-fiction because it’s a pair of clothing that nurses are required to wear at all times. The intended audience of my artifact are students that are studying to become nurses one day. The purpose of my artifact is to keep cross-contamination away and to show which part of the hospital department you are apart of.

My artifact contains examples of ethos and logos. It shows ethos when a nurse tells a patient that they suggest a course of treatment they think will help make the patient feel better. It shows logos when a nurse brings out charts, data, and facts about how they know the course of treatment will work and how they are proven right. My artifact develops credibility because it proves you are apart of the nursing environment. My artifact appeals to the emotions of the members of my discourse community by making us feel proud of ourselves. The artifact appeals to the logic of my discourse community members by letting us work with one another and learn from one another. The tone of my artifact is formal because it gives us the idea about what nurses wear and why it is so important.

7. Kevin Yu

Artifact Description: Video from Youtube, PomPoms channel called TanyParty in the video she goes over what her channel covers.

Genre/ Audience/ Purpose: The Genre is History, mainly tanks and the audience is anyone who likes history, the purpose is to introduce what the channel is going to be which is history and tanks.

8. Kevin Yu

Artifact Description: Video from Youtube, PomPoms channel called TankParty in the video she goes over what her channel is and what will the channel bring such as tanks and history as well pink. This describes the discourse community pretty well because it represents what PomPoms Discord is.

Genre/ Audience/ Purpose: The Genre is History, mainly tanks and the audience is anyone who likes history and tanks, the purpose is to introduce what the channel is going to be which is history and tanks.

Rhetorical Appeals: Since TankParty talks, mainly about history her credibility should be high depending on the sources she sites, PomPom does create emotion because she has a high pitched voice and people have mixed opinions about her voice but overall people are positive about her videos, why PomPom talks about tanks and history? because she generally likes tanks and history thus she created a community that likes history and tanks (she said she would “marry” someone who would buy her a T-34 mod. 1942 tank for her..)
    The message is pretty strong because the YouTube video reflects on what PomPoms discourse community in discord is, in PinkTankParty we all like tanks, we all like the history of tanks and we all play a specific game, WarThunder. The tone of the artifact is pretty casual because she introduces the channel to a mature audience that respects history and tanks and occasionally memes about PomPom, also since she likes the color pink she added pink skins for the game so most of your tank skins become pink 😀

9. Shaniyah

The artifact for my discourse community would be our blue scrubs. Nursing students have to do many clinicals, being in the hospitals and having hands on training is the way we perfect our craft. The blue scrubs are a set of pants that can be worn fitted or loose, and a short sleeve shirt. This artifact is important to my discourse community because it represents us, it is our uniform. Uniform creates a team. The scrubs are also designed to create a clean environment, with the intent of keeping unwanted pathogens away. Sterility is important when working in healthcare since we are dealing with many germs. We want to make patients feel comfortable and safe. The genre of my artifact would most likely be informational due to the purpose behind it, and the environment in which it is used in. The intended audience of it would be the patients since we wear them for the best interest of them. The artifact establishes a strong sense of credibility, because when someone thinks of a nurse, the first thing that comes to mind is probably a lot of science and scrubs. The credibility is also established in the way that we are presenting ourselves the way we want patients to perceive the hospital. Sterile equipment and needles are used by nurses so we must be sterile ourselves, or else it’s a contradiction to medicine and what we have studied. For me scrubs mean success it makes me think of the hard, long nights up in high school and even now in anatomy class. It means everything to me being that I wanted to be a nurse since I was 11 years old. It’s sentimental value behind it for me and I can’t wait to officially get into the nursing program.

10. Pedro Flores

The artifact for my DC is a instagram page named Coolkicksla. This instagram page is where they keep sneaker heads updated with upcoming sneakers or with sneakers in general. If you look in the comments you can see how people are talking about sneakers and talk about how these sneakers are old and want them to come out again. The genre of my artifact is artistic and this is intended to people who like sneakers and are up to date with the sneakers. The purpose is for sneaker heads to communicate and talk about the new sneakers. To talk about old sneakers that are going to be release again. There is Logos because they give reasonable price which is trying to persuade you with logic prices and have pre owned sneaker. There somewhat ethos because they use celebrities to buy their sneakers and the celebrities posting a picture saying they bought shoes and tagging the page. There pathos because in the comments you can see how people are talking about these new sneakers and show emotion through text. The artifact show these cool sneakers and hype them us shows emotion to their audience. The message they want to tell their audience is about the new sneakers and the pricing or pre owned shoes.

11. Hanting Hu

My artifact from my discourse community is the location with convenient transportation. Dense merchants provide everything from brand-name boutiques to cheap discounted goods, vegetables and fruits, catering snacks, fashion clothes, shoes, hats, glasses, gold and silver jewelry, flower gifts, furniture, lighting, medicines, and groceries. Because of multi-ethnic free operation, exotic flavors are everywhere; small Chinese supermarkets, restaurants, and Hong Kong-style cake and tea restaurants have emerged from scratch, and of course, they are far smaller than Chinatown. The artifact important to my DC is one of the most economically and culturally developed areas in the United States in New York. Most places have public transportation to New York, and many residents commute to work in New York City. New York’s three major airports are also the only way for residents to travel.
    The genre of my artifact is non-fiction because people who live nearby buy food to take home. It is prevalent, and it is like going to a market every day. It has brought great convenience to the nearby Chinese. If people don’t want to spend more time go into Manhattan to buy the daily necessities you want, you can also find them in Brooklyn. The intended audience of the artifact is Chinese people living in Brooklyn, 8Av . My artifact has logos because many large and small notes post on 8th Avenue. Those notes provide employment opportunities for people who do not speak English. Convenient transportation of the development reputation is fast and frequent to provide convenience to passengers.

12. Elma Kastrat

My artifact is the website of the college where I went. The name of the website is “State University of Novi Pazar” or short “DUNP”. I chose this artifact because it used to help me a lot during my college time. My discourse community uses this artifact to help students choose what they want to study and help them to study on a professional level.

The genre of this artifact is an education informative website. The intended audience of the artifact are students at first, then professors and people who want to know more about university and about college rules and norms. The purpose of it is to help people decide what they want to study as well as to facilitate students learning with the help of various sections.

This website contains a lot of different stories and experiences of people who were or are now part of this institution. I think that my artifact contains examples of ethos and logos. The ethos is when professors or students who finished college at this university tell us a story about their own opinion about university. The logos are all sections divided by names where students are able to find all information which they need such as descriptions of the majors, list of the required classes for each major, classes schedule, exam schedule,.. My artifact develops credibility by containing everything that one education informative website should have and that his message is instructive. The message of it is very effective because it gives students a big choice of majors not just for a Bachelor degree, but for a Master degree and Doctoral degree at the same time. The artifact doesn’t have tone because I think a website cannot have a tone. However, it is written in formal form with all the things which a website should have as well as it includes the university crest.

13. BrandonP

The artifact from my discourse community would be social media. The reason social media is the artifact for my discourse community is because of how it brings the community together. Many discussions are brought up because of these social media posts and blogs. Through these posts and blogs often times a new sneaker that is coming out is teased through leaked pictures or videos of people wearing them early before the release date. With these early images, we tend to hype the release up before the shoe comes out. With these discussions, you often see people who aren’t even sneakerheads begin to enjoy and appreciate what we love.

The genre of my artifact is non-fiction. The reason being for this is because it keeps many of the sneakerheads discussing current topics about shoes. We also often pay attention to specific celebrities who have their own signature shoe. For example, the artist Travis Scott is a huge influencer that the community pays attention to. Any time he is wearing new shoes fans go crazy because his shoes tend to be fan favorites and are hard to get.

The intended audience of this artifact is certainly sneakerheads. However, as stated before if a huge artist like Travis Scott has a new shoe coming out, his loyal fans seem to get excited every time causing two different discourse communities to merge as one for the time being.

14. Christina Bethelmy

My artifact is social media like Facebook is an example of a discourse community, and this community uses a variety of social media to keep people informed about what is going on a daily basis. An individual may write a post so that the community can see it or they can post it in another persons wall. With social media like Facebook, you can reach out to a large group of people who have language, life patterns, culture, and communication in common with each other. Examples of social media like Facebook being a discourse community has also been used to bring people of different orientations together, to whichever/all intended audiences, like family members, students, or committees. All of these types of people might have different standards of living, like their level of income, education, and work abilities.

15. Jeimi Bravo

A perfect artifact I thought of for my discourse community, teacher’s assistant is songs and books. My artifact for my discourse community is songs and books. When working with toddlers, it is important to have them active and keep it educational. Some songs I would play for the kids would be songs such as baby shark, wheels on the bus, clean up song, and many more. There are so many books that I used as my artifact as Dr. Seus.
    The intended audience for my discourse community and artifact is toddlers, it is interesting to see how toddlers adapt to the songs and book and education at the same time. The purpose was to educate young children playfully, toddlers enjoy joyful sounds and pictures, so being able to sing the clean-up song and learn.
    There is a connection to ethos, pathos, and logos, for ethos a song and a book will try to convince children on washing their hands, or their numbers. Pathos has a joyful emotion, a toddler would not like to hear a strong emotion, then toddlers would not want to listen. In my artifact logos, it is a little difficult to understand, when I sing out loud the clean-up song it is difficult to understand why they use certain terms. For example, Green Eggs And Ham By Dr.Seuss focus on trying new things, but no one would think that green eggs or ham would teach a story to young toddlers. My artifact develops credibility by having such an impact on young children. The tone of my artifact can be any book or song but both very educational.

16. Kelvin Leon

The artifact that I am using is a app/website called Benzinga. The reason I chose Benzinga because it has helped me and my discourse community a lot on making profits. This artifact is basically a app/website and I mainly use it to gather background information of a stock that I potentially see profits in. This app will tell me the potential contracts or ideas or projects or movement that the company might be doing. Whatever it is I relay a message to my group on the information and we discuss whether we think the slope line will go up or go down. In order to get information you gotta create a news wire and it will tell you all the news on the selection you provided. I use this app/website for educational purposes and to further my experience on the app. You can use this app to get information on a stock, it’ll show you the graphs/charts, the recent news. This app has helped me and my discourse community a lot and has made me a lot of money. The information it has given me and my DC has made my DC happy .

17. Jsantana

One artifact that I’m going to choose the Nike Air Force One sneaker. I chose this artifact because it’s a timeless shoe that continues to be released and is recognized by everyone in the DC as an important sneaker. The artifact is all white including the shoe laces. This artifact is important to my DC because it’s a sneaker that anyone can wear since the price is affordable and everyone acknowledges that the sneaker is very nice and can be put together with any pants or shirt. Everyone in this DC has a pair of AF1s and we use this sneaker for trades or even to sell. The genre of this artifact can is diverse and fits every genre of this DC. The intended audience of this artifact is everyone, people who like sneakers, people who don’t like sneakers. I used to work at Footlocker on 34th street and since it was the flagship store many tourists would come and ask for that specific shoe. They weren’t aware of other brands like New Balance, Jordan, Essence but they were very interested in the AF1 sneaker. The purpose of the artifact is to unify everyone because like I stated before anyone can have this sneaker. Whether it’s a famous basketball player, a celebrity such a Kylie Jenner, or even a college English professor. Despite many other sneakers that are ridiculously expensive and aren’t that attainable, the AF1 can be found at any retail sneaker store. The artifact contains example of ethos because it’s a sneaker & that represents exactly what the DC is. The artifact developed its credibility because it’s very hard to deny the shoes importance in the sneaker communities outside of this DC. Many people buy this sneaker again and again because it never goes out of style. Also, since famous people are always seen wearing a pair it helps draw attention to the sneaker. Whenever Nike releases the date that new AF1 will drop, this DC gets very excited because since it’s so affordable that if your pair gets dirty or messed up then you can buy a new pair to replace it. The AF1 appeals to the logic of the DC members by providing a sense of unity between all its members because like I stated before we all have a pair and it’s very comforting that people outside this DC share the same interest as us. This message is effective because this means that love for sneakers isn’t that uncommon and many people can appreciate a sneaker no matter what they already like or if they have another DC they’re apart of. The tone of this artifact is very playful because this sneaker is very diverse and be used to anything. Hiking, playing basketball, running, going to the gym, etc.

18. Arlene Perez

The artifact I chose was the American Legion gold emblem. I chose the emblem as my artifact because of what it represents and stands for. Each part of the emblem has a specific design and meaning. As per the AmericanLegion.org, the emblem consists of a background of rays from the sun that represents light that drives out the darkness in “violence and evil”. A wreath is placed in the center in loving memory to those who gave their lives in service to our country’s liberty. In the center of the wreath, there is placed a star, which derives from World War I as a symbol of victory. Within the star are the letters “US” inside an inner bronze ring which signifies the service committed to our communities and loyalty to our “Americanism”. The outer part of the emblem has outer rings which symbolizes the “rehabilitation of our disabled comrades” and “the welfare of America’s children”. In the blue outer rings, the words “American Legion” represents “truth, remembrance, constancy, honor, service, veteran affairs and rehabilitation, children and youth, loyalty and Americanism”.
    The emblem is used as a logo for the organization. I think the emblem is recognizable and can be found on member’s license plates, at veteran posts, etc. The purpose of the emblem is that it is a symbol that represents the American Legion. I think my artifact demonstrates ethos because I feel it has character in its meaning. The intended audience are people who see the artifact and recognize it or look it up and help the organization.