Week 2 Weekly Assignment (Tuesday Feb. 9th)

Here is where you should reply to the activities in the Weekly PowerPoint or if you are Synchronous but for cannot actively participate due to technology challenges, in order to receive attendance/ participation credit:

1. Either reply to this original Week 2 Assignment Tuesday post or create a new post (my preference is for you to reply to the original post!)
  2. Write a  general response to the PowerPoint (what did you think, what did you learn, what questions do you have, etc.) AND a response to ALL of the activities in the PowerPoint. 

HERE is where you should write your (brief) response to revisiting either “(un)learning My Name” by Mohamed Hassan and “Zayn Malik and the Songs that Bring Us to Prayer” by Hanif Willis-Abdurraqib! after reading  and discussing “Reading Like a Writer.”  Reply to this post if you can, instead of creating a new post. Please try to respond to AT LEAST one of your classmates (this is for BOTH asynchronous or synchronous students!).

1. mustapha

We could use these strategies going forward by not stopping at their surface, but instead diving deeper and searching for the secret or hidden meaning.

2. Kevin Yu

How can we apply these strategies to this class and other classes you take at City Tech?
    You can apply these strategies to this class and other classes by analyzing the text more and understand the context of the writing by the author and always ask questions for example what is the target audience?

3. Isael Castillo

The way I would use these strategies going forward is by looking deeper and focusing on the writer’s idea and identifying the writer’s message.

4. BrandonP

We can apply these strategies to this class and other classes we take at City Tech by using it during texts that we have to read. You should never settle by reading it and not questioning anything. Small annotations through the reading can help you understand the readings in a deeper meaning.

• Rebekah Coleman

Great! Love the idea of annotating the reading!

5. mustapha

Utilizing the techniques that we learned in class today, I could view the dacne moves that Mohamad performed in the video to symbolize his struggle for self-identification rather than just just seeing it as plain dancing. Basically I’d just be viewing every action as representing something.

6. Hamely Jose Taveras

Even though I shared in class. I will use these strategies going forward by applying them to other classes. Whenever I have to read I will annotate and asking myself all the questions. When I have to write similar writing I have an idea of how it suppose to be written.

Apply the techniques and strategies we discussed from “Reading Like a Writer” to one of these two texts. The way I might read it differently now is by stoping between ideas and annotating. I will try to understand by seeing the writer’s ideas. For example, for Zayn Malik and the Songs that Bring Us to Prayer, I would stop and think about the word choice and try to understand more the writer’s choice. I will be more careful when reading to see what he is really saying and how is it being said.

7. Ahsan

1: It is difficult to say exactly how each strategy will have a direct effect on your bottom line. The important thing to keep in mind is that the role of the leader is to influence, engage, and encourage people to action around a common goal.
    2: Set goals at the beginning of the semester, and check in with yourself weekly. In a traditional classroom setting, you’ll often receive verbal or visual reminders of an assignment’s upcoming due date.

8. Jeimi Bravo

There are many ways to use these strategies, it is always important to read and analyze to get a deeper look on what the author / writer is trying to explain. Many different writers use many different techniques so the further you look into it the more you can discover to use on your own writing and perfect it.

9. Tenzin Namgyal

I will use these strategies in the future by asking myself these questions and annotating information that I find interesting/important.
    We can apply these strategies to this class and other classes by using them whenever we are given a reading, they will help us become better writers and that is useful for any class not just English.
    After reading about the different strategies and techniques and having discussed about it in class, I would read “Zayn Malik and the Songs that Bring Us to Prayer” differently. I would ask my self key questions about the text and try to annotate often so I can get a better understanding of what I’m reading.

10. Arian Qosaj

I will use these strategies going forward by taking the time to think about them and answer them before reading. I can apply these strategies to this class and other classes I take at City Tech by using them. I might read the article “Zayn Malik and the Songs that Bring Us to Prayer” differently now because I can interpret it in a different way using the strategies that were discussed.

11. Kevin Yu

How I can apply these techniques for “(Un)learning My Name” by Mohamed Hassan is to analyze what the author is trying to say to the viewer and go further by writing down comments or notes and ask yourself questions so you can better understand what the author is trying to say.

• Jeimi Bravo

I think that in (Un) learning My Name By Mohamed is trying to show more culture and the importance and righting. One word on name may have many different meaning, and pronunciations. I agree with you but I think there is a lot more to it.

• Rebekah Coleman

Great. Love how you are thinking about analyzing the text.

12. Hanting Hu

we use these strategies going forward by can find more that we need to use in our writing and understand more detail in reading. We can apply these strategies to this class and other classes you take at City Tech by make people have idea know have to find the information.

This is two different genre, watch (Un)Learning My Name is easy for me understand the information’s, but Zayn Malik and the Songs that Bring Us to Prayer need me to read and spend time to take note, to make me member.

13. Arlene Perez

I feel I can use these techniques in my English writing class and other classes that require writing. I saved some of the “key ideas” to be able to apply to my future pieces.
    Some techniques that I could use were to think about how the pieces fit into “the big picture”. It also made me think about the time frame of when the pieces were published.

14. Pedro Flores

We can always ask questions. We can also read and analyzes the text to get a better look at the author.

15. Avante Alvarez

I can be more in-depth with my reading and get a real feel for the word choice and why it was chosen. I can apply these to my marketing class when I’m trying to figure out a way to connect to my writing.
    I might pay close attention to what the word are and try to figure out meaning behind using those words zayn malik used.

• Kelvin Leon

I agree with what you are poinnting out, the word choices a writer chooses gives the point a deeper value.

• Kelvin Leon

I agree with what you are pointing out, the word choices a writer chooses gives the point a deeper value.

• Rebekah Coleman

Great!

16. Elma Kastrat

I would like to use these strategies to help me become a better writer. What I mean with that is that after reading “How to Write Like a Writer” I know what I need to pay more attention to and how to apply that later in my writing. I would use it by taking notes of important points and then discuss, analyze, write summary about it and make it more interesting for us and other people around us.

17. Elma Kastrat

18. Kelvin Leon

BIG UESTIONS-

We will use these strategies going forward because there are going to be a lot of readings and we gotta question everything in the reading article. Why he/she/they made the choice to use this or that into the article, etc etc.

Revisit-

I watched (un)Learning My Name and f you pat attention theres a reason why he chose the words he uses. It gives a deeper meaning towards his main point.

19. Erik Gonzalez

Moving forward I would apply these strategies to my personal readings to further interpret the author’s message.

wcv

20. Erik Gonzalez

Moving forward I would apply these strategies for my personal readings to further interpret the author’s message.

I would use these strategies for this class and my other classes to better understand the readings.

21. Jeimi Bravo

When I begin to think about it, there are hundreds of thousands of names in the world, each name has its meaning and pronunciation. There is not one person who might not say my name right. My name is Jeimi, but the reality is it should not be spelled in that form, my name should be spelled Jaime instead of Jeimi. When anyone pronounces my name they always get this glance at their face when they see how it is spelled and begin to worry about how to pronounce it. Many times when I see a teacher or even secretary glance at their paper with my name on it I almost immediately know I’m about to be called for attendance and the teacher does not want to pronounce it wrong to either not be disrespectful or to not make me look like a joke to others. There are many different ways I have heard others pronounce my name. When questioned by my mom on how I got my name, she told me a lot of information as to why. My mother wanted me with a name that you don’t always hear, and when it was time to spell out my name, my godmother chose to spell it uniquely and that is exactly what she did. As time passed I wanted to know more of what my name means, doing my research I learned my name means love and that is something I was very proud of.
    There is not much experience in myself being treated in a way that has affected me, we live in a very divided world where peace does not come around so easily. When I think about names or race having the power for the way others treat you, it is something that is so unfair and at times does not make sense but it is noticeable because of our community and respect towards one another. My name being Jeimi and I am Hispanic, having my name and ethnicity there have been a few moments where I am glanced at in a certain way as if I don’t deserve my name or mommy name does not portray my image. When moments like this are noticeable to me I get frustrated but also put down a lot because it is the name my mother gave me and I would not like anyone speaking bad on my name or where I came from because every name and ethnicity is something to be very proud of. It is not something that I let myself be brought down by.
    (Un) Learning My Name – Mohamed Hassan aspired to have many mixed feelings but also connections. Mohamed describes how difficult it is to order coffee, they ask for your name you may question how it will be pronounced wrong. I relate to Mohamed’s experience because when I decided to get a coffee at Starbucks, at times I choose to use my middle name, it being Johana. After all, it may be easier to pronounce and spell. Johana is an unusual name, but many times one may overthink over their appearance and what others may think. Mohamed explains adapting to pronouncing his name differently and having the feeling of dishonor, many have traditions where others do not understand the meaning.

• Rebekah Coleman

Dear Jeimi,

Thank you so much for sharing this powerful story about your name. I loved learning the history of your name and am so grateful you shared. I am glad that you were able to connect to the text and that you enjoyed it.

Warmly,

Rebekah Coleman

22. Christina Bethelmy

There are different kinds of ways to use these strategies, it is always important to read and determine and get a more detailed vision on how the author is trying to explain. Different writers use many different techniques they can use it while writing to finish it in the best way possible. I would use these strategies to discover and understand the authors message better.