Week 2 Weekly Assignment (Thursday, Feb. 11th)

Here is where you should reply to the activities in the Weekly PowerPoint or if you are Synchronous but for cannot actively participate due to technology challenges, in order to receive attendance/ participation credit:

1. Either reply to this original Week 2 Assignment Thursday post or create a new post (my preference is for you to reply to the original post!)
  2. Write a  general response to the PowerPoint (what did you think, what did you learn, what questions do you have, etc.) AND a response to ALL of the activities in the PowerPoint. 

HERE is where you should write your 3 sample text messages to your mom, your best friend and your professor explaining why you are late. Also, explain how the messages are similar or different and what you notice about the rhetorical situation (exigence–purpose, audience, and constraints/ limitations). ALSO write your response to the Greta Thunberg Speech! Where did you notice Ethos, Pathos and Logos? Who is her intended audience? What is her purpose?  Reply to this post if you can, instead of creating a new post. Please try to respond to AT LEAST one of your classmates (this is for BOTH asynchronous or synchronous students!).

1. Hamely Jose Taveras

For mom; Hi mom, I’m actually running late. I will be there in a bit. I’m already on my way so don’t worry.
    For Professor; Hello Professor, I am going to be late because Of traffic and personal reasons. I am sorry for the inconvenience. Hope you understand.
    For Best Friend; Hey best friend I’m going to be late because I didn’t get up on time. I’m just being lazy.
    They are all similar in how I explain to them that I’m going to be late. The difference about it’s that for my professor I will always speak formally and hope they understand. For my mom I know how she is so I will tell her things that help her stay calm and not worry about me. For my best friend, I can be very honest and tell her how they are, and she understands. The rhetorical situation changes for all the different people because they are all different people for me.

In Greta Thunberg’s speech, I noticed the logo, pathos, and ethos.
    I noticed ethos when she explained how this situation with climate change is impacting her and everyone else. It shows how credible she is because this issue also concerns her. I noticed pathos when she explains that in the future when there is no going back with climate change, she will say that people didn’t do anything to make changes. She also uses pathos when she explains that she knows that the rich people don’t want to do anything but she is aware the people in the society can have bigger changes. Lastly, I see logos when she explains that since she already spoke to people with money and powers and they didn’t do anything they don’t want to do anything with making change. Her intended audience is the society people in the world. The purpose of this speech is to inform you about climate change and how changes need to be made. She explains how she has brought the concerns and worries to people with power and with money, but they didn’t do anything because they don’t

• Rebekah Coleman

These are excellent! I love your different text messages and how you analyzed GT’s speech!

RC

2. mustapha

Mom: Hey mom sorry but I am running late, but I will be there shortly.
    Professor: I regret to inform you that I will not be able to make it on time for the class. If possible can you give me a quick rundown of whats going on in the class, so I am up to speed when I arrive. I am truly sorry about this.
    Friend: Yeah Im running late my bad man Ill get there when I get there relax.
    These three messages are similar because they all portray a message of me being late, but where they differ is how they are told and what tone is used. For my mother and professor I use a respectful and professional tone, the professor version being more professional. As for the friend, I use a friendly playful tone.
    For Greats speech I noticed that she used ethos when she said something along the lines of if you truly do care for your children then you wouldn’t leave them with an environment that’d make them question why they didn’t prevent this from happening when they had the chance.

• Hamely Jose Taveras

Hey, I really see how all your tone changes when you are speaking to different people. I also do this. I think I do it because you get to different people depending on how you know them and what role they play in your life. Like with your best friend you feel comfortable enough, to be honest, and like express yourself. but maybe for mom and professor you need to be more formal and more respectful.

• Rebekah Coleman

Mustapha,
      I love your different text messages. They definitely show your changes in tone! Like how you look closely at GT’s speech!

RC

3. Avante Alvarez

Mom: Yo ma I’m be home a little late.
    Best friend: yo bro ill be there in 5 mins.
    professor: hey I’m running late is there anything important that I might miss during class and is it a way after class I make up what I missed. with my mom and friend there is a personal relationship so I can start how I greet them differently then I would to someone I have a professional relationship.

In Greta Thunberg speech the first thing I notice was she used pathos first. she used pathos when she was saying it’s ok to be the odd one when you doing it for something you stand for. that gives people courage. the second thing I notice was she used ethos next. she used ethos when she said, “Our biosphere is being sacrificed so that rich people in countries like mine can live in luxury.” she was referring to the 1 percent which is the rich people in the world. she also used logos at the same time because in the next sentence she says some along the lines of poor does the work so the rich can stay rich and logic can be true because they might pay the works a small amount for a large reward.

• Rebekah Coleman

Avante,

Loved your text messages, I can definitely see how you shift your tone! Great analysis of GT’s speech!

RC

4. Avante Alvarez

Mom: Yo ma I’m be home a little late.

5. Tenzin Namgyal

Mom: Hey mom sorry seems like I’m gonna be running a little late. Don’t worry wont be long be there soon love you.
    Professor: Good morning prof, I regret to inform you that I will be running late to class. If possible please go over things that I missed so I am not lost in the lesson, thank you.
    Bestfriend: I’m running a little late bro, gimme a few.
    They are all similar in how I am telling them that I will be running late, but the difference is how I tell them that. For my mom I tell her not to worry because she will always worry for me whenever I’m late, for my professor I am respectful and professional and with my bestfriend I am just casual and chill because that’s the vibe we have.
    In the speech an example of ethos is when she told the audience that if they truly cared for their children then they wouldn’t leave them in an environment that would make the wonder why didn’t do something about this when they had the chance. Her intended audience are the people of todays society and her purpose for this speech is to inform us of climate change and how change is needed or it won’t get better.

• Rebekah Coleman

Tenzin,
      Love these different text messages, I can clearly hear your different tone! Great analysis of GT’s speech!

RC

6. Pedro Flores

Mom: Mom I’m going to be late.
    Best Friend: Yo bro, Ima be late.
    Professor: Hi Professor, I hope you are having a good day. Unfortunately I’m going to be late. I will get the information I missed from a classmate.

7. Isael Castillo

In Greta Thunberg’s speech, I noticed she uses Pathos by explaining that is unpopular to talk about climate change in a room but is the courage that counts to make a change.

For Mom: Hi ma, I’m running late I’m just 10 minutes away don’t worry.
    For Professor: Hello Professor, I’m gonna be late for class due to the train being under construction.
    For Friends: Yoo I’m gonna be late there’s was a problem with the train.

• Rebekah Coleman

Isael,
      Love your texts! I can see the change in tone! I like how you look for pathos in GT’s speech.
      RC

8. Jeimi Bravo

Throughout the speech, Ethos was used by convincing others they should make a change for their kids so that they can live in an environment that they can continue to increase the population instead of decreasing our population. Pathos used a serious tone, the girl seemed angry but serious where she wasn’t yelling, it was very important for her to make her point clear. Logos was used, in stating that they will be forced to make a change because no one will stand down n making a change in climate change.

Mom:
    “Mom the train is very delayed and its really annoying, ill call you if anything I just wanted to let you know”

Best friend:
    “The train is very delayed, I will let you know when I am closer so we can meet up”

Professor:
    “Good Morning, The train seems to be delayed, I am sorry for the inconvenience I will keep you updated with any news”

When I speak to my mom and my best friend I am very informal but I think because I speak to them everyday and I feel as if I speak to them more fast. When I speak to my professor I speak very formal because I would wanna make a great impression.

• Rebekah Coleman

Jeimi,

Love your different tones you use in your texts! They are great! Good analysis of the ethos, pathos, and logos in the speech!

RC

9. Kevin Yu

Text Messages:
    Mom: Hi Mom, I’m running late I’ll be there soon
    Friend: Hey, I’m running late cuz the train
    Professor: Hi Professor, I’m running late because the train was delayed.

Greta’s speech was powerful she was formal towards the world leaders, she creates emotion because she talked about if the government is not going to act then the people will act and Greta did have plenty of research. A speech is powerful it can convey emotion and action and that’s what Greta did in her speech.

• Rebekah Coleman

Kevin, Love your different texts, I can see how you change your tone! Good look at GTs speech!

RC

10. Hanting Hu

In the speech the ethos is If they really take care of their children, then they will not leave them in a bad environment. The Pathos is she said that when climate change is irreversible in the future, she will feel sad, people have not made any changes, and I have not helped much. the logos is “Our biosphere is being sacrificed so that rich people in countries like mine can live in luxury.” Rich did nothing, so they didn’t want to make any changes.

Mom: Mom, sorry I am late to go home.
    Best friend: I am in the my way, just wait for me.
    Professor: Hi, prof, Sorry about I may be late today because the traffic jam. And I want to know how can I make up for the class.

• Rebekah Coleman

Hanting, I like how you look at Ethos, Pathos and Logos in GT’s speech. Great text messages! I can hear your different tones!

RC

11. Arlene Perez

An example of pathos in the speech was when the speaker talked about how in 50 years, she would be 75 years old and how her children will ask her why she did not do anything for change. I noticed an examples of logos when Greta mentioned facts on the environmental changes affecting the climate. An example of ethos in the speech was how the speaker had a very formal tone in her voice.

Example of text messages:
    To mom: Hey mom, I’m on the train and is stuck again so I’m running late.
    To my best friend: Urgh I’m running, the train is stuck, like always.
    To my professor: Good morning/afternoon professor, I apologize for running late. I am currently on the train and unfortunately it is stuck at one location.
    The messages to my professor would be more formal compared to my best friend or mom. The messages to my best friend would be the most informal.

• Rebekah Coleman

Arlene,

Great look at GT’s speech. I really like your text messages, I can hear the different tones!

RC

12. Arian Qosaj

In Greta Thunberg’s speech I noticed that she used ethos, logos, and pathos. Greta used pathos when she talked about how climate change is something she cares about and how she wants to make a difference. After that, she used ethos when she changed her voice tone talking about climate change and how there needs to be change if you want there to be a better environment for children. Then, she used logos when she pointed out that there is going to be change no matter what.

To my Mom: Hey mom, sorry I’m running late but I had to stay after class and finish this homework assignment. See you soon.

To my Professor: Good morning professor, sorry that I’m running late but there is a lot of traffic on the bus and I will be there as soon as I can. Thank you.

To my Best Friend: Hey what’s up, I’m running a little late but I’ll be there in no time!!

They all sound similar because of the way that I told them that I was going to be running late and why.

• Shaniyah

Mom: Ma I am a little late trains and buses are delayed sorry be there soon.
      Best friend: Yo bro I am going to be mad late
      Professor: Good afternoon, sorry professor I am running late please excuse me the train was late, but I will make sure it never happens again.
      In every text I explain that I am going to be late and why, but the key difference is that my tone and style of texting alters for each different audience. I would be very laid back texting with my best friend, but not my professor because that is a educational environment that I must adjust to. One key thing is life is knowing how to adjust your social skills for different occasions.
      In the speech I feel the most effective device Greta used was pathos because when she spoke to the parents she was stating how they would want their kids to be in a better environment. That would evoke emotions within the parents and she knew that would, so that method would encourage parents to push more for change.

• Rebekah Coleman

Arian,

Love your different text messages, I can hear how you shift your tone! Good close look at GT’s speech.

RC

13. Elma Kastrat

For mom: Hi mom. I have to stay late at work. I will be there soon.
    For professor: Hello professor. I will be late because I have problems with my internet connection. I’m sorry about that.
    For best friend: Hi my friend. I’m running late because I didn’t start to get ready yet.

In Greta’s speech I noticed the ethos, logos and pathos. I noticed an ethos when she was talking about the weather and when she was saying that our biosphere is being sacrificed just so that rich people like her family have luxury lives. In her speech I also found pathos when she was saying how she will explain everything that’s going on now to her children in 2078 when she will be 75 years old. And by the end of her speech I found logos when she was saying that we can’t solve a crisis without treating it as a crisis.

• Rebekah Coleman

Elma,
      Great look at GT’s speech! I like how you notice the Ethos, logos and pathos. Great texts, your tone really shifts when speaking to different people!

RC

14. BrandonP

Mom: Hey I’m running late, be there soon.

Professor: Good morning professor, I am running late due to an unfortunate family emergency. I am sorry and will make sure it doesn’t happen again.

Best friend: I’m late my bad. give me a few more minutes.

The ways I spoke to these individuals are all similar. However, with my mom, I got straight to the point and apologized. With my professor, I had to give an explanation so it didn’t look like an excuse. Also, I had to make sure it was formal and respectful. With my best friend, all I had to do was send a quick and simple text. When texting your best friend you don’t have to explain much.

During Greta’s speech, she used pathos when explaining that it was good to look for change to help the climate. She stood up in a room full of people and explaining. She used logos when sharing facts about the climate and explaining the damage taken. She used ethos with the tone of her voice when speaking amongst the audience.

• Rebekah Coleman

Brandon,
      Great text messages, I can really see how you change your tone! Good job looking closely at the GT speech for ethos, pathos and logos.

RC

15. Christina Bethelmy

Mom: I will be coming late, I will be there as soon as possible.
    Best friend: I’ll be there in a minute, sorry I woke up late.
    professor: I apologize for running late is there is anything that I missed could you please inform me after class or in office hours so I make up what I missed. I treat my best friend and my mom more casually because there is a personal relationship and with the professor I have a professional relationship, so we have a different kind of greeting between them.
    With Greta’s speech, she then used pathos while also explaining that it was good to look for change to help the climate. She also used ethos with a different tone of her voice when speaking before the audience.