Professor Woolley | COMD3313 OL74| FA20

Discussion 4: Kyle Sealy

This is artist is Liang Mark and he creates sci-fi/ fantasy illustrations. He uses brushes to paint these massive landscapes and scenes. From his work, you can see that he uses a lot of compositional techniques like asymmetrical, framing and directional lines. In these particular pieces, the composition of these pieces are directional lines, asymmetrical, framing, and negative space. In the first piece, you can see the bird is pointing towards the building in the background and the roots also point in the direction of an another building in the midground. The first piece is asymmetrical but there is still balance with negative space and the objects in the piece. The focus of the piece is on left the foreground. He had a lot of interesting pieces, and I love them because I love the color and the compositions. Not just that but I also a Star Wars fan and these pieces kind of reminds me of Star Wars.

1. Maria Iacono

I really the the asymmetrical techniques used in the two pieces you showed. It’s really strong and dramatic!