Professor Woolley | COMD3313 OL74| FA20

Anthony Delbrun: Discussion 1 Why Keep a Sketchbook?

After reading the article, I have never felt so understanding and relieved in my life! There is so much stuff the author says that I 100% agree with her. I keep a sketchbook to illustrate any ideas I have, look through my progress over the years and as something that is therapeutic. I enjoyed drawing ever since I was a kid and still do to this day. Any thoughts that I have and if I am having a bad day I draw on my sketchbook and it makes me feel better. The author suggests that the sketchbook is not just for drawing only, but as a diary or journal you can put your own thoughts in. One thing the author said that resonated with me is that you don’t have to be perfect. That is a HUGE blessing for me because I try to be consistent with my drawings only to have a few inconsistences in them. The sketchbook serves as drafts for me until I start a project that requires consistency. Next thing the author suggests is you don’t need “specific” materials to use in your sketchbook. I mostly use any material in my sketchbook for the most part. I have several sketch books in my arsenal, even ones back when I was in MIDDLE SCHOOL! The only constraint that prevented me from using the sketchbook was classes, life and currently right now my tv pitch project. I have been writing ideas for my pitch since April of this year and continue doing so. What I hope to gain by keeping mines this semester is drawing hands and feet properly and maintain consistency.

1. Angela Iacono

I completely agree with you when you say looking through your old sketchbooks and seeing your progress is therapeutic! I’d also like to add on and say that it’s also very rewarding, because looking back really shows how much your grown and how it’s ok to make mistakes.