Read and React #1 Traditions

When I walked into traditions I did not know what to expect. I heard talk of it being about the culture of Disney. I however was not very excited for this class, assuming that it was just more of a lecture of the history of Disney world. But I came to find out that I was very wrong. Traditions is a heightened experience that really allows you to open your mind of not only the creation of the park, but the essence and importance of one mans dream being able to extend so far.

Traditions was not a class but more of an experience and true eye opener. But it was also very fun and extremely entertaining. Just as the world of Disney is portrayed. In traditions the biggest thing that is introduced are the 4 key basics, which are Safety, Courtesy, Show and Efficiency. I work for both the Grand Floridian and the Polynesian at the marina. The most two keys that I have had to use and learned from traditions is Safety and Show. Safety is most important because we are giving guest an opportunity to handle a vessel in open water, which most guest have never experienced. So we do 3 different safety spiels before guests can aboard the boat. Show is also important because we have to make the dock as well as ourselves look appropriate for the guest.

In the article “Create Company Loyalty with New Hire Practices” by T. Freidlein, he says “We also require that all employees spend a night at the hotel to experience the hotel from a guest perspective. It helps them relate to guests better and to discover what it is like to stay in the hotel.” I found this extremely interesting because I do not believe most establishments let new hires test out the product. But it seems extremely efficient if they are the ones selling the product. During traditions our host told us to get up and that we were all going to magic kingdom. We got to discover magic kingdom and “test the product” by looking around and seeing how the 4 basic keys are demonstrated by cast members throughout the park. Also on my first day of training at the marina, my trainer allowed me to take out one of our boats called a speed racer. I road around the seven seas lagoon and bay lake for 30 minutes. I absolutely loved this because it was exactly what we spoke about in traditions being able to create our own memories to share with the guest. I am able to speak to guest from first hand experience and assure them of there safety while on the vessel.

This entry was posted in Read and React 1. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Read and React #1 Traditions

1. Idaliz De Leon says:

Dear Nadia,

Your reaction to the Traditions class was very insightful. Although I have not attended the class yet, I too had the same idea of what the class consists of. Before reading your post, I thought the class would be a long lecture on Disney’s history. I am glad to hear that the class is interactive and includes a tour of Magic Kingdom. It is important that memorable moments are created so that the magic that is within our experiences can help in creating magical moments for our guests. I agree that testing the product is important in order to describe and bring forth the product to its fullest potential with the guests. Being able to drive the speed race sounds like such an awesome experience. I am sure the experience was unforgettable for you and your enthusiasm will come across in your interaction with guests.

2. What a great opening. We all create in our minds expectations of what is to come and your statement “Traditions is a heightened experience that really allows you to open your mind of not only the creation of the park, but the essence and importance of one mans dream being able to extend so far.” shows that expectations can sometimes be wrong. I would like to add to this that one mans dream became a reality only because of the dedicated castmembers that continue to live is dream.

We recently had another City Tech CP work at the Marina, Alyson Carney. You may know her as she graduated just a year ago. I can put the two of you in touch if you would like.