My first driving lesson: golf cart!

Yep, it is true—I have never been behind the wheel before. Well, until two weeks ago! Even though it was a golf cart, and at its maximum, I could probably get somewhere faster by walking, it was still a great introduction. Learning how to drive was something I actually wanted to do before going to Florida, and dealing with the buses has been more than enough of a motivation! Some of the reasons that prevented me from learning was because I thought that I would be a nervous driver, and the other was that I did not feel an urgency to because I could get around the city without a car. However, it is a practical skill that I want to learn for myself. Being down here, has really tested my ability to be independent. I am used to walking everywhere (where are the sidewalks here?!), or taking the train or bus, or hopping in a cab. I am used to just getting up and go.

The first night I got “behind the wheel,” I was shaky. My coworker and I were moving the company golf carts over to where we rent them out to our guests, so that a runner could deliver folios etc, to their cabins or sites later on that night. It was not an experience that I was used to, and I did not push on the pedal hard enough, and kept taking my foot off the pedal. The second night, I drove with a Front Supervisor Assistant in the passenger seat to do deliveries. It was a smooth trip, and it felt more natural—it was awesome. Once I am back home, I am taking driver’s ed, so that I can really learn, and do some of the things I have always wanted to do like road trips.

Suzanne Tran
Front Desk Cashier
Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground

This entry was posted in Reflective Photo Journals. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to My first driving lesson: golf cart!

1. hsrtyuksel says:

Ever since I became a runner I had the chance to drive the pargos as well. I love it! One reason, I love to drive, I can’t believe you never did. Completely missing out. Anyhow, my question to you is, when driving a pargo/golf car, do you not need a driving experience in the first palce? It is interesting how they let you drive it. Because in Port Orleans they were all asking me if I had licsense and what not. What is even cool is that I get to drive the other housekeepers to the resorts or back to the cast servic, feels so cool to give them a ride. But this is a big step for you, gave you the chance to be more independent rather then depending on other sources.

Hasret Yuksel
    Housekeeping
    Port Orleans Riverside