Rough Day…to say the least, but Lesson Learned

To say I had a rough day at work this past Friday would be putting it mildly. It had been a crazy training schedule that spanned a little over two weeks, and consisted of numerous trainers depending leading up to Friday, which was my official first day after having “earned my ears” (I was put on the desk on my own two days early before my assessment).

Between Disney University, and on-the-job training, there was a lot to learn about how to be an effective Disney Resort Front Desk Cashier, which included the basics as well as details, and processes that were resort-specific. We thoroughly went over the check-in process and its variations including how to take in cash transactions though we primarily deal with credit cards. The importance of manually keeping track of all transactions was emphasized at University while at the resort, they modified it to just cash transactions.

During onsite training, I seldom dealt with cash, and on the first day out on my own (which is the busiest check-in day of the week), I was hit with “countless” cash payments. At the end of my shift, when I went to do my bank out, which includes many steps from recounting my register to pulling any money made during the shift for a final deposit, I realized my register was over. I sought out my trainer’s assistance, and ended up staying two hours after my shift had officially ended to figure out where I went wrong. One of the first questions that was asked was “did you keep track of your cash transactions?” Unfortunately, I had not; I aimed for speedy check-ins during the day so as to not keep guests waiting, and neglected to note the cash payments.

I was fairly calm while we were trying to account for the overage. Other cast members, and leaders voluntarily jumped in (some even stayed after their shift had finished!) to help me retrace my steps, but we were unable to figure it out why things did not sync up. My co-cast members were assuring me that the whole office, at some point, had gone through this. I started to tear up when I thought I could be terminated as I had heard of others losing their positions over seemingly less. In that moment, I realized how much being here, and what this opportunity meant to me. I know that I lucked out by working in position I enjoy, at Disney, with a great team, and did not want to leave before completing.

I am potentially looking at a reprimand for the cash handling error, which I take full ownership of, and may appear on my record in days to come. The experience was upsetting, and embarrassing knowing it was preventable, and quite possibly, fixable. Going forward, I am taking my time to check guests in regardless of the long line in the lobby, or at times, the impatience of the guest. With some of the walls I have hit since starting the program, I know that I want to stay, develop my skills as a Front Desk Agent, and meet even more people like that my co-cast members who were so incredible, and gracious with their help, time, and support.

This entry was posted in Reflective Photo Journals. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Rough Day…to say the least, but Lesson Learned

1. This was a valuable lesson to learn. Though it is never acceptable to have a draw that does not reconcile properly, at least it happened early in your time with Disney so that many lessons can be learned. First, follow the training procedures; they are in place for a reason. Second, knowing that your fellow castmembers where there to support your efforts is important to building a team that is effective. Finally, knowing how important this experience is to you will ensure that you take the proper steps towards guest service. Sometimes the 5 seconds it takes to complete a task will allow for everyone (you, castmembers and guests) to have a better overall experience.

Go back to work with your head held high and the training you experienced evident in every task you perform.

Be well.