Week 1 Blogging

In the story of an hour and the jury of her peers, I sense these stories both describe very well what was the effect on women in early times. Mrs. Mallard obviously had never experienced freedom or individuality. As told in the story “There was something coming to her and she was waiting for it, fearfully. What was it? She did not know; it was too subtle and elusive to name.” Then with the jury of her peers as I had described before in my comments; a person who deals with death of a close one in a nonchalant insensitive expression, usually has crossed the line of having enough and accepting that murder had to be done. Obviously something like this doesn’t happen overnight, but builds over time.Mrs. Mallard was obviously very unhappy and it showed with the clutter of her home. Because a woman during those times could not publically express discontent, it must have been hard on her. The bird was just the last straw. I also pointed out the two women who saw the bird decided to hide it from the men. That bird might have explained a lot to the prosecution and justice would have been served. And I really think that’s why the women took it (the bird). Because in their views justice was served. And also in their own way the regret of not being more of a friend to Mrs. Wright. This tells me that the women supported each other in those times, because as mention before their voice was not heard by the men who treated them as less than. In the story of an hour it was told that Mrs. Mallard did not loved her husband. “And yet she loved him–sometimes. Often she had not.” My guess is that marriages in those days were basically willed on by family, wealth, not dying old by yourself. Even today it is hard to find couples who stayed married. People today think only of their freedom and individuality, and would prefer that it is not hindered. It is nice to know that at least women have voices today and carry responsibility well in society.