New Route’s Mental Health Benefits project 4 draft

Being a college student in an urban place, such as New York City, can become a hassle. Not only do we have to worry about our grades every semester, but we also receive stress by the simple reason of living in the city. The importance for City Tech walkers to take the route that I have decided is that it involves a lot of nature. Nature is significant to our mental health because it relieves stress and as a college student that is crucial. It can also be beneficial because it sharpens your memory and it keeps you more aware of your surroundings. To make the best of it with this route, it is preferably not to listen to music, in order to be connected to nature, visually and audibly.

The usual route that I take to City Tech is the most affective one for me, but it does not benefits’ me in absorbing nature. I take the R train, that is located a block away from my home and it takes me to Jay St-Metro Tech. It only takes me five minutes to get to City Tech and then I get stuck inside for four hours daily. Just describing my usual route, it already stresses me out. As soon as I wake up, I get enclosed inside the subway, only to come out and become confined in college. This might be a common feeling for City Tech students. In New York Times, the article “How Walking in Nature Changes the Brain” by Gretchen Reynolds mentions, “Various studies have found that urban dwellers with little access to green spaces have a higher incidence of psychological problems than people living near parks and that city dwellers who visit natural environments have lower levels of stress hormones […]”. This is common in New York City and it is relatable to everyone, not just college student. That is why the different route that I have decided on is more beneficial. The reason being, that the ten to fifteen minutes walk, from High St. to City Tech passes by a park.

Although, this route still involves passing by grey tall buildings, the moment you walk inside the park to get to the street you need to cross is a great feeling. The feeling of suffocation of the buildings disappears with your stress and thoughts. The park is like a mini-meditation spot, breathing in the fresh air that the trees provide us with, becomes a blessing. Hearing the birds chirp and watching the squirrels live their daily life becomes relaxing. This route will be even better when in the middle of the semester when there is a lot of work to do, especially when finals start to come in. In the article, “13 Mental Health Benefits of Exercise”, by Sophia Breene, she mentions a lot of different ways that walking or any exercise, can do to our body and mental health. But I am going to focus more on the mental health side because that is vital in a college student’s way of living. Breene mentions, “Exercise also increases concentrations of norepinephrine, a chemical that can moderate the brain’s response to stress. So, go ahead and get sweaty — working out can reduce stress and boost the body’s ability to deal with existing mental tension”. Walking is considered an exercise. Therefore, it is important to incorporate a walk of ten to fifteen minutes in your daily schedule to reduce stress.