The overlapping piers

As our country’s economic rises, changes started to happened whether it’s new construction happening or new project getting planned to replace an old department or a house. Ever since our country is discovered, changes and development start to take place to create a community for us to live in. For new developments to happen today, our community will often strike down an old building for a new one to rise one, we replace the old one for a better and improved one. Though some old buildings are being replace, there are also mass amounts of old building being kept for ages. With the changes, it bought some major effects to the community and the area. Whether what kind of effect it is, positive and negative outcomes will alway comes with it.

While you taking your sweet slow walk through your neighborhood, you’ll probably will notice there’s some changes in the community you live in. Whether it’s the deli across your house use to be another house or the apartment next door turn into a laundromat. These changes take times, it can be a year or less or maybe more. Not only just a community that changes, New York City is often evolving. One area contains the biggest change in my opinion is DUMBO. When you first enter DUMBO, you’ll notice the peaceful and quietness in that area but also it’s the most popular place for tourist to visit. DUMBO is a really huge park, when you’re standing in front of the entrance, the first view you’ll see is Manhattan, which the where tourists gather together and take a picture with the view. The park is divided into two different part in my opinion and each part has it’t unique environment. When you make a right turn in front of the entrance, you will enter the peace and quiet part of the park. This part is where most tourist gathers around and take pictures. There’s a indoor merry-go-round. Beside that, there’s a giant yellow sign of the word “ON”. This part of the park is best for people who want to relax, there’s a lot of grass field around, whenever you’re tired, you can lay on the grass and enjoy the breeze.

My first time visiting DUMBO was three years ago when my friend decided to give me a tour. When I first step out the station, I notice the peacefulness around the neighborhood. There are variety of restaurant around the area but most of it are closed during daytime. It’s a peaceful community and very high classed until all the bars open up at nighttime. Even though it’s winter, the park is still fill with locals and tourists. The breeze coming from the river gives me a chill in the vein. There’s a restaurant at the entrance, they have their own little garden seats which attractive tourists to have a brunch there and which bought some light to the area during nighttime. While I was walking down towards the pier, I saw some wooden docks are standing still in the water, some of it are covered in green seaweed. The wooden docks has a strong existences at DUMBO, it’s like a ugly duckling in the swans groups. There are larger amount of piers, each pier is a different sport. I was surprise at the size of the pier. Aside from the size, when you’re tired from playing, there’s benches at the end of the pier for you to sit and enjoy the view of Manhattan.

The DUMBO we see today are totally different centuries ago. The piers we see today used to be shipping docks. Long ago, ships traveled through the ocean, enter the East River and stopped at the piers to drop the gigantic packages and that’s the reason why the size of the piers are big. The wooden docks we also use to be part of the docks. It’s hard to imagine the pier we stood on today used to be a place for trading and labor work. Every new developments brings either positive or negative outcomes to the area.

In my opinion, replacing the docks into piers does not completely affect the community. DUMBO is a quiet community, with ships coming in can chase the peacefulness away. It might be the easiest way for the ships to drop packages because the East River is right next to it. However, the noise can affect not just DUMBO but also Manhattan. East River is between these two boroughs, if DUMBO is affected by the noise, Manhattan have a high chance of getting affect also. No one will like to live around the shipping docks. With that thoughts, the area will turn into a no man’s land anytime soon. The price of the community will decrease which will brings negative affect to the economic. The DUMBO today is choose as one of the best view for wedding photoshoots.

There are a lot of overlapping in our city but we never bother to stop and clearly look at it. Our community change frequently, what might be across your house might be gone the next day for new constructions. Some overlapping can bring negative or positive effects for the community but it all base on one’s opinion. In my opinion, turning the docks into a sport place has a positive outcome. The noise that’s occurred by the ship can ruined the peacefulness in the community and tourist will no longer stop by DUMBO and enjoy the view.