New York Summary

In the article “City Limits” by Colson Whitehead, the author expresses his views towards New York City. He starts by mentioning “You are a New Yorker when what was there before is more real and sold than what is here now.” The author is remembering  the city, he is looking back at the stores and remembers whats was once there.  One of the authors earliest memory of the city is going uptown on the number 1 train in the early 70s. He describes the 70s as filthy, but he stats this as an excepting matter. “…Everything is filthy, because thats is my city and I’m sticking to it.” The author gives an important statement throughout the article, “Never listen to what people tell you about old New York, because if you didn’t witness it, it is not a part of your New York and might as well be New Jersey.” What the author is trying to explain is how people try to give you their perspective about New York City, but the author is trying to convince the reader that your life in the city should be the way you remember it and not by others telling how the city is. Whitehead, looks at New York and mentions ” New York City you live in is not my New York City…” New York City is a big city, containing about eight billion people. There is eight billion people living their own lives building their own “skyline”. As I continue reading the article, the author emphasizes on the actions he could of done to say goodbye. He mentions taking out a disposable camera and taking a picture, he also mentions that he could have also shaken everyones hands. At the end of the article, the author mentions the importance of remembering where you come from and the how the area around you defines who you are. Everyone at some point is new to the area “neighbored” its up to the individual to take actions and remember the importance of the place.