Commission

Commission: (Noun) an authorization or command to act in a prescribed manner or to perform prescribed acts.

“Design world legends Lorraine Wild, Louise Sandhaus, and Rick Valicenti recently formed the trans-continental partnership Wild LuV, which is allowing them to work together and tackle big commissions that draw on all of their talents (https://www.wildluv.com/)”

While I was reading the essay by Ellen Lupton “Why Collaborate” I happened to stumble upon the word “commission”. While I was reading the sentence the word was placed in, i was at a lost because i couldn’t make any sense out of it. The reason i couldn’t fully understand the sentence was because I thought the word “commission” meant a fee or a form of payment. So I decided to look up the word to see if my definition of the word was right. Upon looking it up I found that my definition wasn’t all that wrong seeing as it was one of the many definitions of the word; but in this context it meant something different. So as i read the definitions i found one that fits the context. In this context the sentence meant the group Wild LuV are able to tackle commands that forced them to do and act in a manner they didn’t wish to. It also crossed my mind that it might also portray Wild LuV tackling commissions of others.